Terrible Surprises

"Honey, who was that?" She watched out the window after Daniel.

"No one, Mama. Just some boy from school." She turned to smile at me with a hopeful glint in her eye. I laughed. "No, Mama. It's not like that. Besides, I don't think I'm ready for things like that anyways." I sighed sadly.

"Mia, only one in a million guys are like him. He was just that one." Her eyes clouded over for a second. "Honey, I need you to invite Charlie and Andrew over for dinner tonight, okay? Molly can come too." She bit her bottom lip nervously.

"Why? Is something wrong?"

She ignored the question and stuttered. "I-I just need you to call them, okay! Just-just call them, please."

My mouth gaped as she twitched like a bug under a microscope. I've only seen her like this twice. First, when she was getting the divorce with my father. Second, during the incident. I pulled my phone out and group messaged my friends.

'Hey guys, idk what's going on but mama wants you guys over for dinner -Mia'

'Does something have to happen for mama summers to want me over ;) -Charlie'

'Is everything okay? -Andrew'

'Me too?! :D I feel included! - Molly'

'Its serious. She won't say anything, but she's nervous. She has that look... -Mia'

'Omg!! You mean THE look?! -Charlie'

'The look from... You know...? -Andrew'

'Now I'm confused... -Molly'

'Yes, and sorry Molly. -Mia'

'Idc about the twins, but I'm coming! On my way! -Charlie'

'We're coming too! -Andrew'

My mother stood I front of us trembling with a paper in her hand. Charlie stood on my right and Andrew to my left. Molly stood left to Charlie, not fully understanding what was going on. "It's been a year. A year, since that bastard has been sent to jail. I-I didn't even know what was happening. It was going on in my own house. Violence, in my own house! And my own daughter, was too scared to tell me! Because that asshole threatened her!" I lowered my head ashamed. "It's been a year. Should be more. But we all knew this day would come. But never this soon." She trailed off.

As the others waited in suspense, I waited, terrified. I knew what was coming next, something I wasn't ready for. A stray tear escaped my eye as I let out a sob. Andrew turned towards me and grabbed me. Andrew held me in his arms as I cried into his shirt.

"They're letting James out. He's coming back."

The world slowly faded to black.