Chapter 45

Chapter 45
*Grayson's POV*
It's Lilia's funeral today. Our whole family has been down since her death. None of us have been the same. The house has been quiet and we haven't gone to school. We promised mom that after our birthday, which is tomorrow, we would go back. I'm not ready to go back because I'm not ready to answer everyone's questions about where I've been, where is Lilia, and more things I just don't want to talk about. I walk up to my closet and pull out a black button up shirt and my black dress pants. I put on my pants and start to button up my shirt. I do my hair for the first time since her death. I walk downstairs and see Ethan in the same outfit as me. Dad comes down in a white shirt with a black tie and black pants. And finally Mom walks downstairs in a long black dress with long sleeves. We are all silent as we walk to the car. We drive to the funeral and we meet up with Kylie's family. Kylie silently nods at us and we nod back. The parents start talking but we stay silent. Ethan decides to break the silence. "Have you read your letter yet?" He asks Kylie. "Yeah, I read it as soon as I got home," she smiles. "Same," Ethan says. They turn to look at me. I think about the letter that's been taunting me for the past couple of days. "I haven't read mine yet," I confess. "It's ok Gray. Read it when you're ready," Kylie says. I give her a small smile as we head to our seats. Not a lot of people came because not too many people knew Lilia. It was mostly Kylie's family and our family. Mom asked if any of us wanted to speak and we said no. She said it was ok and we didn't have to. I walk up to Mom. "Hey mom, I changed my mind. I want to speak." She smiles at me. "You sure?" She asks. "Yeah," I reply. "Ok hunny," she says hugging me. The funeral starts and after awhile it is time for people to come up and speak. My parents go and Kylie goes. Then it's my turn. I walk up to the front and grab the mic. "Let me start this out by saying Lilia was the sweetest, kindest, funniest, and best person I have ever met, and probably will ever meet. No matter what she was going through she always had a smile on her face. And if you were ever going through something she would always comfort you because she didn't like to see other people sad. So I know that right now she doesn't want any of us to feel sad. She wants us to feel happy for her. So I'm not going to give a speech about how sad I am about her being gone. I'm going to give a speech about how she impacted my life in a positive way. Now I don't have any notes to read off of or any idea of what I even want to say... so I'm just going to speak from the heart," I pull away from the mic and take a breath. I look to Ethan and he nods his head and mouths 'you can do it.' I nod my head and start. "When Lilia first came into our family she was broken. And with my brotherly instincts I knew I had to put her back together again. After awhile my family and I finally put the pieces together and she became one whole piece. Little did we know that she was the missing piece to our family. Little did I know she was the missing piece to me....... Lilia showed me what it truly means to live. She decided to live outside of the hospital for a short amount of time, rather than getting treatment and living inside of a hospital for longer. She wanted to live her life instead of just existing in her life. And because of her I've learned to live everyday to the fullest. Experience live instead of existing in life. And I am eternally grateful for that. She also taught me what it truly means to overcome obstacles. Lilia was the embodiment of perseverance. Through every struggle she went through she powered through it. And she did it all with a smile on her face. So now whenever I'm faced with a struggle I remember Lilia and how she always found the positives in her situation, and how she used those positives as strength to overcome that struggle. Now I could go on for hours about all the things Lilia has taught me. But probably the most valuable thing she taught me was what it truly means to love someone. She loved me and my family so so much," I started to tear up. I sniffle and let the tears fall, but I continue to talk. "She loved us so so much. And we loved her back so so much. Her last words were 'I love you all.' And the last thing she heard was me saying that I love her so so much and that I'm going to miss her. And then she squeezed my hand for the last time as she ran into the light. She told me she would always love me and would never forget me. So I'm going to make this promise here and now. Lilia, I will always love you and I will never forget you. I will always be your guardian angel. I love you sis." I put the mic down on the stand and walk back to my family. "That was beautiful Gray," Mom says with tears flowing down her face. "It was all for her," I say smiling through my tears.