Chapter 43

Chapter 43
*Grayson's POV*
I wake up and walk into Lilia's room. She's sitting on her bed looking out the window. "Good morning," I say. She smiles at me and points to her wheelchair. "H-h-help-p." "Sh sh sh don't talk. Save your energy," I say putting her in her chair. I take her downstairs and I get breakfast. "You hungry?" I ask. She shakes her head no. She hasn't eaten anything in a couple of days. That can't be good. "You sure?" She shakes her head yes. "Ok then." I grab a bowl, spoon, cereal, and milk. I pour myself a bowl of cereal and eat it. I turn in the tv and I watch Lilia's face as I change the channels. Her face lights up and I get to the reruns of Friends. I keep it there and we watch it as I eat. Mom and Dad eventually come down and make themselves coffee. After about an hour Ethan comes down. "Good morning sleepy head," I say. He rolls his eyes, "whatever." He grabs a bowl of cereal and sits down to watch Friends too. We are all sitting as a family when Lilia starts to shake. "Lilia?!?" I ask. She keeps shaking. Dad grabs the phone and dials 911. My mom makes sure Lilia doesn't fall out of her chair. "Hello?" My dad says on the phone. "My daughter is having a seizure and we need an ambulance here right away... it's very urgent...yes.... thank you," he hangs up the phone. Ethan and I look at him, scared. "The ambulance is on its way. They told me to make sure she doesn't hit her head or injure herself." Ethan and I look at each other and back at Lilia. She is violently shaking and I have to look away. I can't see her like this. Ethan walks over and hugs me. I squeeze him. "She's going to be ok," he says. We hear sirens and the door opens. Paramedics walk in and get Lilia onto a stretcher. "Boys take the car to the hospital, we will meet you there," my dad says. We nod our heads with tears in our eyes. The door closes and Ethan and I turn to face each other. The sirens slowly fade as the ambulance drives off. He both just stand there in shock trying to comprehend what just happened. Tears flow from our eyes and the silence in the room is replaced by our sobs. We hold each other as we cry. "She can't die," I say. Ethan squeezes me and backs away. His face is red and tears streak his face. I probably look the same. "She's gunna be ok.... right?" I ask. More tears stream from his face and his lip quivers. "Ethan you're my big brother, you're supposed to tell me everything is going to be ok!!" I sob. "I can't tell you everything is going to be ok!!!" He yells. The room becomes silent. "All I can do," he starts, "is be there for you. I can't tell you everything will be fine because it isn't. I can't tell you not to be scared or sad about what is happening when I'm feeling that way. All I can do is be there for you. And I hope that it's enough... because I don't like to see you in pain. I don't like to see you sad. But I can't make you happy if I'm not happy myself. I'm sorry." I walk up to him and wrap my arms around him. "You being here for me is definitely enough," I sniffle. We grab each other's shoulders. "We can do this," I say. "For Lilia," Ethan says. "For Lilia," I repeat. Ethan grabs the keys and we hop in the car. I call Kylie. "Hello?" She asks. "Kylie it's Gray. Ethan and I are driving to your house right now. Lilia was just taken to the hospital and we are going. Get ready." She's silent for a moment. "Kylie?" I ask. "I'll be ready," she hangs up. We pull up and she runs out, tears falling from her face. "You ok?" Ethan asks. "Drive," she says. Ethan hits the gas and we reach the hospital. We run in and reach the reception desk. "Lilia Dolan??" I ask. "Sorry there is no Lilia Dolan here." "What?!?" "I'm sorry," she says. "Where is she??" I ask Ethan. "OH!! Lilia Pierce!! Lilia Pierce," he says. "Room 232," she replies. "Thank you," I say. We run to the stairs and go to floor two. 228...230...232!!! We walk in and see my parents sitting down with no emotion on their faces and the doctors are running tests on Lilia. "Mom. Dad. What wrong with her?" I ask. "We don't know sweetie. We just have to wait," Mom says. That stupid STUPID PHRASE "just have to wait" why do we always have to wait?!? They put a few tubes in her and she eventually wakes up. "Hey Lilia," Dad says. "Hey," she breathes. Dr. Mendez walks in. "Hello Lilia," she smiles. Lilia smiles back. "I'm going to be your doctor again. Is that ok?" Lilia smiles and nods. "I'm going to talk to your family. We will be right back." Lilia nods her head. Dr. Mendez walks us out of the room. "I'm sorry to say but the tumor has fully spread to her entire brain. She only has a day to live until her body shuts down." Kylie chokes on her tears and runs to the bathroom. "I'll go get her," Mom says. Dr. Mendez looks at us. "I'm so sorry," she says. "Will it be painful?" I ask tears flowing from my face. "No, she will be on all the pain killers we have." "Good." I choke out. I look at Ethan and he is crying too. I hug him and our dad hugs both of us. We wipe the tears from our eyes and walk back into Lilia's room. "Hey girl," I smile. She smiles back. "Have the doctors been treating you well?" I ask. She smiles and nods her head. "Good. Good." We sit down and Kylie and Mom walk in. "Hey babe," Kylie says waking up to Lilia. Lilia smiles as Kylie grabs her hand. "I love you Lilia," she says. Lilia smiles and rubs Kylie's hand. Kylie smiles and just holds Lilia's hand for a bit. Lilia eventually falls asleep and the only noise in the room is the beeping of her monitors.