Three: Hayes

Wednesday, August 27th, 2014

The day before Hayes was supposed to move in the owner of the building got the elevator fixed. She had whooped with joy when she'd gotten the text from Micah, startling her father out of his book, and had texted him confirming that it was still working at least ten times during the four hour drive from New York to DC. He wasn't the fastest texter, but he responded eventually.

She had insisted on moving without the help of professional movers, which had somehow resulted in her sitting shotgun as her father drove a rented cube truck the 250 miles to her new home. He seemed uncomfortable in his jeans and buttonless shirt. Both looked brand new and probably hadn't been worn more than twice, and Hayes had reluctantly admitted to her sister Holly over text that she found it unsettling to see him out of his customary suit and tie.

They parked in front of the building but her father didn't turn off the engine.

"Are you entirely sure about this, Hayes?" he asked.

"Yes. This is what I really want," she said.

He studied her for a moment before nodding and shutting the truck off. "Then let's get moving."

She texted Micah that they were downstairs and hopped out of the truck. Her father joined her on the sidewalk. They peered up at the brick building, and although he didn't say anything, she could tell that he wasn't impressed.

"Try not to insult his home to his face," Hayes instructed quietly.

"I would never," her father said, flashing a smile. She grinned and looped an arm through his, grateful that he was with her for this.

"You'll be happy to hear that the elevator is still functional," Micah said by way of greeting. His dirty blond hair was mussed as though he'd been running his hand through it, and his hazel eyes were squinted against the sun. Now that she was a bit more relaxed she could see that Holly had been right in her assessment: he was cute. Worryingly so. Broad shoulders but not bulky with muscle, tall, a healthy tan. She was going to have to train herself to see him as strictly a friend or this new living arrangement would get uncomfortable very quickly.

She turned the full force of her grin onto her new roommate. "Wonderful! And, um, hi."

"Hi."

"Dad, Micah. Micah, dad," she introduced after a slightly awkward beat of silence. "My mom couldn't make it because she's in London promoting her self help book. What's it called again?"

"103 Ways to Reduce Stress: A Working Woman's Guide to Living Better," her father replied without missing a beat, crossing his arms as he sized Micah up. He wasn't a large man but what he lacked in stature he more than made up for in pure force of presence, and he was putting it all on display as he picked Micah apart.

"Glad that one of us remembered the full title," Hayes said, ignoring the way Micah shifted uncomfortably under her father's gaze. She assessed the building again and rubbed her hands together. "Alright, let's do this."

An hour later her room had a bed, a dresser, a desk, and too many boxes. She wasn't sure what she had packed to warrant so many, but she wasn't about to send any of it back to New York. Her father hadn't stopped scrutinizing poor Micah the entire time, but she could tell that he approved of the younger man. Micah had given her keys and excused himself to head back to work once all of her things were in her room.

Hayes sat on her freshly made bed and exhaled. She had called many places home over the years but something about this one felt different. Like there was limitless untapped potential just waiting to be explored. Like she would actually be happy here.

"I have to head out soon if I'm going to catch my flight back to New York," her father said.

"Already?"

"You know I'd stay longer if I could but I have a dinner meeting."

"I know, I know." Hayes mustered a wan smile. "Do you think mom will forgive me?"

Her father sighed and sat down next to her, putting an arm around her shoulders and pulling her close. "I know she will. You just need to give her time."

"Will you work on her?"

"Of course. She'll come around, Hayes, I promise."

She leaned her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes, committing the moment to memory.