Forty One: Micah

Wednesday, March 7th, 2016

"You're coming to my commencement, right?" Hayes asked, bumping him with her elbow to get his attention. She was stretched across the couch using him as backrest, and up until now they'd been sitting in silence as they worked on their own thing.

"Do you want me to?" he inquired.

"I mean I am getting my Masters degree. It's kind of a big deal."

"I was under the impression it was more of a family thing than for friends," he replied.

She dropped her head back onto his shoulder she could look up at him. "I can't promise it'll be fun but you'll get to see me awkwardly shake hands with people who are pretending to know and like me."

"That is a very compelling argument."

"Holly will be there so you'll know someone other than my parents."

He frowned. "I barely know Holly, which is still more than I know your parents."

"Oh. Well, Holly knows you."

"How?"

"I talk to her about you all the time."

"About what?" Micah asked, drawing his eyebrows together. He was never sure if he should be worried when Hayes said she discussed him with other people.

"Mostly good things. She likes you. So do my parents, by the way."

"If you want me to be there, I will be there. Just tell me when and where," he said. It was easier not to think about what situations would cause her to discuss him with her parents.