The King

The ball room was exquisite. The tables shimmered with gold and silver plates; piled high with exotic foods. Dancing courtiers were a shimmer of colours as they weaved in and out of each other. On top a gold dais, sat the Dorian the prince of Ardalan. He was, to be blunt, bored. The silly courtiers looked ridiculous in their costumes as they flirted with each other. It didn't help that his mother, Queen Georgina, keep pointing out eligible young ladies every minute.

"Oh Dorian, look it's Lady Kaltain! Doesn't she look fabulous tonight?"

Dorian let out a frustrated sigh. He hated Lady Kaltain. Celaena would have something to say about Kaltain's ridiculously floaty dress. Dorian smiled at the thought but then stopped. He needed to stop thinking about Celaena, she was Chaol's now. Well not exactly thought Dorian. Celaena was nobody's.

Dorian looked to his right where is father sat. As a boy, Dorian had been terrified by his father as he used to beat him into discipline. However as a man, Dorian thought it was his duty to stand up to his father, which was dangerous, even for a prince. Dorian's father was the King of Ardalan.

The King surveyed the ball before him as his hand gently stroked the pommel of his sword. Dorian had always knew his father was evil; even as a little boy. But the biggest blow had been when his father had assassinated 500 of Nehemia's people. Dorian wondered sometimes if the King really was his father but deep down Dorian knew he was. The Kings eyes narrowed as two new people entered the ball room. Dorian knew instantly who they were. It was Chaol and Celaena.

Quickly Dorian excused himself from the dais and tried as fast as he could to reach Chaol and Celaena. However this was more difficult than it seemed as he had to dodge many giggling ladies who were all queuing to have a dance with him. Soon, after much pushing, Dorian reached his goal. Celaena stood next to Chaol, her eyes lit up. Dorian's heart leaped in his chest; she looked so beautiful. She grinned when she saw him come over and said something to Chaol. Chaol looked completely different to Celaena; instead of looking excited he looked around like somebody was going to jump out of the walls and attack him. He had even brought his sword to the ball.

"Hello, Dorian." said Celaena, "Lucky we came, you looked like you were going to die of boredom." Dorian laughed.

"It's my mother she is being rather annoying."

"Aren't all mothers annoying?"

"Yes, but not like this." said Dorian as he pulled a face. Celaena cackled.

"I was just asking Chaol if he would dance with me, but he just grunted, so I didn't know what to make of it." said Celaena, nudging Chaol in the ribs.

"Ow!" snapped Chaol, who hadn't been playing attention. "What was that for!"

"For not listening." said Celaena.

Chaol grunted.