chapter 9

Scarlett stormed down the hallway as she left 'Pinky's ' class. It was bad enough the whole wizarding world was in denial about voldemort returning. But stopping them from learning how to fight back was just ridiculous. What were they thinking.

Scarlett sat down in a random hallway to try and calm down. The last thing she wanted to do was lose control. As she kept her breathing under control she heard footsteps approach.

She turned her head and saw that professor McGonagall was walking her way with a stern yet worried expression. " miss green I'm afraid headmaster dumbldore would like to see you immediately. "

Scarlett quickly got up and started to follow McGonagall to dumbldore's office.

" chocolate frogs" McGonagall said to the statue. Dumbldore always seemed to have funny passwords for his office.

"I'm afraid I cannot go any farther but I'm sure that you know the way by now"

" of course thank you minikins , have a pleasant evening ".

McGonagall gave he a slight glare at the nickname. But if you looked closely you could see a hint of a smile on her face. She was rather fond of the girl and even acted as he mother figure since first year when she pushed pansy Parkinson out of the boat.

Scarlett knocked on the door to dumbldore's office as she entered. She may not show respect to may people , but dumbldore she always had a great respect for.

" hi headmaster, you wanted to talk to me"said Scarlett as she walked towards dumbldore's pet phionex  Fawkes. " hello baby girl" she cooed as she petted the bird that was now cuddled to her chest.

"Ah Scarlett yes, I'd like to talk to you about what happened today said dumbldore as he eyes the girl , who was now making kissy faces at Fawkes.

" ooh which part" Scarlett wondered. It had been a long day and she did do a few pranks. Some may not have even gone off yet. Of course she knew that she wasn't here for that though.

"Today at defense against the dark art I heard you had an argument with miss umbridge" dumbldore deadpanned. Yet he still held a small glint of humour in his eyes as he looked at her." I've heard that you yelled at he and then stormed off. First of all I would like to say well done."

"Thank you" she smirked back at him.

"But as you know , she is from the ministry. This means it could get very bad for you as you know."

"I'll be carefully besides she doesn't even know"

"That is beyond the point I'm afraid" dumbldore continued " if she does find out what you really are this could be very dangerous for you."

This caused Scarlett to lose all humor. Dumbldore was right after all." I know professor. Its just that she way saying that harry potter was lying about voldemort returning and then saying that we can't do magic in her class ".

Dumbldore looked up from his papers to stare at the girl. She was still cradling Fawkes like a newborn baby, petting his head. He had know the girl since she was eleven but it seemed she was still full of surprises. Every time he looked at her he could see the pain in her eyes. She hid it well , but he still saw it." So you believe Mr potter" he questioned.

" of course I do, I'd be stupid not to, Cedric diggory died of the killing curse, Harry's wand was tested and showed that he didn't cast it. They were the only two in the maze at the time. Also harry did have a large cut on his arm when he came out of the maze if you've ever noticed" answered Scarlett as she looked up at him.

"No I didn't notice actually. You must have a great memory to remember that."

There was a pause in the room as they each retreated back to their thoughts. Dumbldore watched Scarlett as if he was studying her. She would be a great addition to the order.

"How was this summer Scarlett" he spoke softly. He knew about the abuse she went through at home , much like his friend and past pupil Sirius black.

Instantly her posture got more defensive and she hugged Fawkes closer to her chest. Family was a subject he avoided always. Yet dumbldore always asked every time they talked." It was fine" she muttered. Not taking her eyes off the phionex.

" good, now how was it really " he asked again.

For a moment it looked like she wasn't going to answer. Slowly she raised her head to look at dumbldore in the eye." Its getting worse at home ..... more violent" she said almost in a whisper.

This was the side of her that almost nobody ever saw. She was the girl what hides behind humour and jokes to try to hide her pain that she always felt.

"I'm sorry to hear that" said dumbldore sadly. He often thought about taking her away from he family. But she had nowhere else to go. If she joined the order them she would but he would have to get the others to agree before he could.

"Its not your fault"she said. In an effort to change the topic she brought up the real reason she was there." Now what should we do about umbridge "she said with fake cheerfulness.

" I'd recommend trying to keep a low profile but we both know that won't happen. So instead try not to lose control. You know what happens when to obscurials when the ministry finded them" warned dumbldore.

"OK then " said Scarlett. She really wanted nothing more than to leave at the moment. Dumbldore seemed to pick up on this as he dismissed her.

As she put her hand on the doorknob dumbldore spoke again.

"Scarlett would you please put Fawkes back"

"Aww come on I'm a great baby sitter I'll take great care of her and have her back by dinner" Scarlett groaned. She adored the bird. She even stole her often so that she out baby the bird like a mother hen.

"But her back please Scarlett".