XXII.

Amaru "Leo" Crooks. (IN MM)

I wiped the frustration off my face putting my blunt out. Sym's heels clacked against the floor, getting closer and closer to where I sat.

I sat in a dimly lit area on the balcony. I had been staring in the air for a few hours. My mind feels blocked with all the bullshit running through my head.

"How was work?" I questioned never taking my eyes off the ground.

I could feel her presence behind me.

"It was okay. Why aren't you looking at me?"

"I can't focus for shit."

"I've been here for 3 hours now." She let me know, walking over to stand in front of me.

I slowly raised my head looking into her concerned eyes. Pulling me into her chest, I could feel tears coming from my eyes.

"I'm good."

"You aren't, it's okay to not be strong 24/7. What's wrong?" She mumbled straddling me.

"I can't eat or sleep. It's like my strength is tearing away by the day. I look at you sometimes and I wonder how you're able to keep a smile on your face, yet uncover yourself to me behind closed doors."

"That's called love, baby. I confide in you just as you're supposed to with me."

"I can't."

"Why?" She frowned, wiping away my tears as fresh ones appeared.

"Because that makes me less of a man. I've been taught to take care of you. I'm expected to do that. I'm a man."

"I can't stand that way of thinking, it's so old fashioned. If you have a problem or something to say, say it. You can't wait to the last minute or when you're breaking down."

I could only stare at her.

"Why are you staring at me like that? You don't agree?"

"No, I mean... I don't even know. Life is confusing." She laughed pulling me into a tight hug.

"When was the last time you've had a home cooked meal?"

"It's been awhile." I admitted.

Symphoni got off my lap, pulling me up behind her. "What did you do?"

"I said I'd cater to you."

"Aren't you tired? We can postpone this."

"It's fine. I don't have to do anything tomorrow so we can stay in and watch movies. Whatever you want."

I watched her closely as she pushed my chair in, grabbing everything she had made for tonight's dinner piling everything on my plate.

"Aren't you hungry?"

"I ate earlier. Relax and eat." She encouraged.

I picked up a fork and knife cutting through my steak slowly placing it in my mouth. I closed my eyes getting lost in the flavor of the steak, eating some mashed potatoes.

While I ate I kept looking back up at her. Right when I was about to finish eating, she stood up. "I'm about to get changed into something comfortable."

"Go ahead." She entered the kitchen a few minutes later placing a blindfold over my eyes.

"I want you to relax. Don't think about your mother, Zane, or anything else that haunts your thoughts at night. Think about us. What we have built. The love we have for each other. Understand?"