XXXVIII.

Symphoni Peterson. (CARMEN IN MM.)

"Hey, Symphoni."

"Huh?" Looking back for a second I saw Jackie's uncle. "Oh hey, Lester."

"I just wanted to say congratulations."

"Thanks!" I shouted, continuing my walk home.

Lester always gives me these odd vibes and Jackie has told me not to speak to him countless times. Jackie has never steered me wrong so I'm listening. A hi and bye won't hurt.

Feeling a cloth being placed over my face I inhaled the substance falling unconscious.

"Symphoni!"

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?" Dr. Dosh looked back down at her clipboard.

"Your blood pressure is a little high."

"Is it putting her in danger?"

"Not right now. I might have to prescribe a blood pressure medication."

"Can I have a moment alone with my fiancé?" Was all I could ask.

"Sure." She left the room.

My vision blurred as tears fell freely from my eyes. He stood, but I held my hand out to stop him from helping me.

"Don't." Doing the opposite of what I asked he pulled me into him kissing my hair.

"We'll get through this. I'm here for you."

"All I've been through."

"Everyday is a struggle but you've gotta hold on."

"But my baby." I croaked out, placing my hands on my belly. "She hasn't done anything!"

"Just take whatever medication she prescribes and we'll deal with whatever complications if it doesn't work. Okay?"

"Can I abort? I can't take this."

"You're not aborting her."

"She doesn't deserve to come into the world. Everyone was right, Amaru. Can't you see the signs? God is throwing curveballs because he knows we were being selfish."

"You can't abort her. It's too late." Pushing his hands away from me, I ran out towards Dr. Dosh.

Her blue eyes looked me up and down in confusion.

"Ms. Peterson, what is wrong?"

"I can't get an abortion?"

"No. Why do you want an abortion?"

"I can't do this. My blood pressure is high. I don't want to put my baby in anymore danger than she is already in."

"Seeing as you're undetectable there is a 1% chance your daughter will have it."

"My high blood pressure-"

"Is only elevated. You are at 127/72. This can be due to stress and genetics. Baby Peterson is fine in there. There are no signs of a hypertension problem."

"Oh." I said looking dumb.

She grabbed my hand and walked me back to her room where Amaru sat against the wall praying.

I sat on the bed awkwardly.

"Mr. Crooks, your child and Symphoni are fine. Her pressure is a little elevated. A lifestyle change is best."

"What can we do to regulate it?"

"First before we discuss this, are you interested in trying out the blood pressure medication or do you want to see if you can regulate it naturally?"