Chapter Fifteen

Loki crawled on the steps of the penthouse, he looked like a rag doll after taking a beating from the Incredible Hulk.

"If it's all the same to you. I'll have that drink," he smiled, trying to appeal to the Avengers good side.

They looked down at him, weapons drawn. The fight was over...and they had won.

----------------

A week later Nick Fury stood in a S.H.I.E.L.D. tactical room. A TV montage of the Avengers played, showing various reports of what happened.

Iron Man was still seen as a hero, the Hulk was questioned. Thor's return was unseen, Loki blamed the villain. Black Widow and Hawkeye were viewed as master assassins. Captain America, the war hero legend that lived up to the legend. And Y/N, Miss America, was also labeled as a hero.

Some people agreed that the Avengers did good, protecting the city. Others believed it was their cause. One report showed an old man, resembling Stan Lee saying, "Superheroes, in New York? Give me a break!"

"These so-called heroes have to be held responsible for the destruction done to the city. This was their fight. Where are they now?" 

"What? That this was somehow their fault? Captain America saved my life. Wherever he is, wherever any of them are, I just want to say thank you."

Back at the S.H.I.E.L.D. tactical room, Nick Fury faced the World Council.

"Where are the Avengers?" they questioned.

"I'm not currently tracking their whereabouts. I'd say they've earned a leave of absence," Nick answered.

"And the Tesseract?"

"The Tesseract is where it belongs: out of our reach."

"That's not your call!"

Fury shrugged, "I didn't make it. I just didn't argue with the god that did."

"So you let him take it and the war criminal, Loki, who should be answering for his crimes?"

"Oh, I think he will be," Fury defended.

"I don't think you understand what you've started. Letting the Avengers loose on this world, they're dangerous," the Council warned.

"They surely are," Fury admitted. "And the whole world knows it. Every world knows it."

"Was that the point of all this, a statement?" they questioned.

"A promise..."

Fury walked back onto the bridge of the helicarrier, looking out at the sky below.

Agent Hill approached. "Sir, how does it work now?" she asked. "They've gone their separate ways, some pretty extremely far. We get into a situation like this again, what happens then?"

"They'll come back," Fury answered.

"You really sure about that?"

"I am."

"Why?"

"Because we'll need them to..."

Meanwhile, at Central Park, the Avengers took Thor and Loki, who was handcuffed and muzzled, to a blocked off area. Thor shook hands with his team and gave Selvig a hug.

Tony opened the Tesseract case. Banner took it out and placed it inside a glass tube, held by Thor. Thor gave Loki the other end, he reluctantly took it. The Asgardians leaped into the energy beam...gone.

Then, one-by-one, the group splinters off, strolling off in different directions. Banner climbed into a sports car with Tony. Nat and Clint left in S.H.I.E.L.D. vehicles, the team was divided...for now.

"So what happens now?" Y/N asked, sauntering her way over to Steve's bike.

He shrugged, "I'm not sure, I'll probably go back to Brooklyn. What about you?" he asked.

"I don't know, I've been gone for 70 years so I'm sure my apartment is long gone," Y/N chuckled.

"You know," Steve started, sounding nervous. "My apartment, it's pretty big, I mean, it's big enough for two people. If you, you know-"

"Steve," Y/N interrupted with a smile on her face. "You sound just like you did when you first asked me out," she laughed.

Steve's cheeks turned bright red, "It's just an idea," he said nervously scratching the back of his neck. "Well, it's more of an offer actually," he corrected.

"It's an offer I think I'm going to take you up on," she said wrapping her arms around his neck.

Steve smiled, finally finding peace in this new world...he found his happiness in Y/N. "I wouldn't have it any other way," he said wrapping his arms around her waist.

Y/N gently placed her lips on his, giving him a sweet and passionate kiss.

Steve slowly pulled away, "I am so helplessly in love with you," he joked.

Y/N smiled, "I wouldn't have it any other way," she replied, giving him one more quick kiss.

"Well, since you agreed, I guess I better give you this," Steve said reaching into his pocket and pulling out a key.

Y/N furrowed her brows, "I don't understand," she said taking the key.

"It's to the apartment, I didn't know if you'd say yes, but I had a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent make one anyway," Steve shrugged. Y/N smiled, fiddling with the key in her hand.

"You have no idea how relieved I was when you said yes," Steve admitted. 

Y/N smiled, "Look at us, Captain America and Miss America...living together. The news outlets are going to explode," she joked.

Steve let out a soft laugh, "What do you say, should we go?" he asked.

"Yeah," Y/N agreed. "But I have to grab something first."

"Grab what?"

"Just follow me," Y/N said walking away, flashing Steve a wink as she did so.

Steve was confused until he saw a car move, he then saw Y/N climbing on a brand new motorcycle, far different from his old-fashioned one. It was all black, with a prominent S.H.I.E.L.D. emblem on the side.

"How did you manage to get your hands on that?" Steve called out.

"Turns out even after 70 years I still have a few connections at S.H.I.E.L.D.," she answered.