Chapter Thirty-Four

Steve returned to the dam a little while later with two suits in hand. He found the team waiting on the bridge, right where he had left them. A smug smirk was on his face as he approached Sam and Y/N.

"Steve Rogers you did not," Y/N joked as he approached her and handed her the suit she wore in the forties.

Steve chuckled, "Technically they are our suits," he defended.

Y/N playfully shook her head at him, "Which you stole from the Smithsonian I'm assuming?"

"Okay, break it up lovebirds," Sam cut in. "We still have a war to win."

----------------

The team swiftly broke into the S.H.I.E.L.D. Triskelion. Hill led them to a tech room where she had disturbed Hydra's signals. A young tech opened the door and was met by Captain America.

"Excuse us," Steve said pushing past him and entering the room. The tech put his hands up in surrender and let them through.

Steve made his way over to the PA system while Y/N and Sam secured the S.H.I.E.L.D. techs.

"Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents, this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by Hydra. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there," Steve explained.

"If you launch those Helicarriers today, Hydra will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not," he finished

Sam walked over, a smirk on his face, "Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" he asked.

"Off the top of his head," Y/N answered. "He always does it that way, it makes it practically impossible to win an argument."

Steve smiled, "Then you're lucky that we rarely fight unless it's over what movie to watch."

"Very true," Y/N said taking her chip and walking over to him, handing Steve his. "Let's go be heroes," she said kissing him.

"You just be sure to come back to me," Steve said against her lips.

"You better do the same...don't do anything stupid," she warned. Steve kissed her again when an awkward cough separated them. They both turned and saw Sam standing there impatiently.

The trio then began to head for the helicarriers, Maria stayed back in the tech room to reset the helicarrier targets. Y/N and Steve ran towards the helicarriers, Sam up above them in his wing suit.

"Hey Cap?" Sam asked. "How do we know the bad guys from the good guys?"

"If they're shooting at you, they're bad," Steve answered as they engaged Hydra agents. Sam flew off while the agents fired at Steve and Y/N. The team made quick work of them.

"Hey, Cap, found those bad guys you were talking about," Sam said as he dodged a fire of bullets while he flew through the air.

"You okay?" Y/N asked, taking down two more Hydra agents who stood in her way with ease.

Sam continued to fight the Hydra agents that shot at him, "I'm not dead yet," he replied.

The fight continued and Y/N finally found her way onto the first helicarrier, Alpha. Several Hydra agents stood in her path but she managed to fight her way through them and towards the center console that housed the targeting chips.

"Falcon, status?" Maria asked over the comms.

"Engaged," Sam said flying down into the second helicarrier, Bravo. "Alright, I'm in," he said taking out the final Hydra agent that stood in his way.

Just before Sam could place his targeting chip in another agent he didn't see before began shooting at him, "Shit!" Sam yelled as he flew down to avoid the heavy fire.

"Eight minutes guys," Maria reminded.

"Working on it," Y/N grunted as she fought off another Hydra agent that stood on her path to the center console of the first helicarrier. They were initiating launch, the helicarriers slowly began to rise out of the hanger, only causing Y/N to move faster.

Inside the Triskelion Nick Fury was busy disrupting Pierce and the World Council, Y/N had called in Natasha and she quickly made her way to D.C. to help. Everything was moving according to plan.

"Alpha locked," Y/N panted as she placed her targeting chip in the first helicarrier.

Maria acknowledged this, "Falcon, where are you now?" she asked.

Sam used a missile a Hydra agent shot at him to break into the second helicarrier, "I'm in," he replied moments later. "Bravo locked."

"Two down. One to go."