Chapter 2 | What The Girl Doesn't Do

Courage is not the absence of fear;

It is acting in spite of it.

-Mark Twain

~~

"Hey!" The booming voice yelled. "Let go of her!"

The four football players turn to look at the intruder with murderous glares, I look up towards the voice. Recognising the person instantly, I make a run for safety but get pulled back by one of the jocks, feeling the cold ground when I'm thrown towards it with a soft thud.

I let out a squeak to grab my saviour's attention, but immediately shut up when one guy looks at me with a stern look.

Out of all the people to save me, it had to be Luke huh? I don't know how he found me but I guess I'm glad he did.

"Luke, please just go." I weakly call, regretting trying to be saved. If it was me they wanted, so be it, I don't want someone else hurt because of me. So I plead with my eyes to Luke, I'm tired from all the running and being thrown to the ground didn't help either but I would never forgive myself if Luke got hurt because of me.

Luke didn't bat an eyelash at my pleads, he walks straight up to where we were and said in a warning tone. "I said, let her go-"

Freaking stubborn bastard.

That's when all hell broke loose. A punch is thrown straight to Luke's stomach.

~~

Four against one wasn't fair, especially when those guys train five days a week but what surprised me, was that Luke still got a few good hits on the guys, but enough was enough and I couldn't watch anymore. This wasn't fair. Luke was tiring and I could tell since his punches were slowing and he was starting take the hits harder, so I did what any girl doesn't do in cliche movies.

With my blood pumping, my adrenaline kicked in. I went straight over to one of the guys who was about to sneak behind Luke to grab him and I shove his shoulder, he spins around and I send my knee straight up to his crotch. He fell to the ground in agony, wailing and clutching where I struck him.

Luke freezes in shock with a pained expression on his face, nose bleeding.

I grabbed Luke before he could punch anyone else and I drag both of us out of the dangerous alleyway, his lanky body almost toppling over with a loss of balance.

~~

An hour passes and I prayed they stopped looking by now.

It was only then that I turned to look at Luke. A soft gasp escapes my lips at the sight of him, he had a black eye and a few cuts scattered across his face. My gaze trails down to inspect his knuckles.

Just as I had expected, swollen slightly, red and shredded.

Why hadn't I seen these beatings before? I must've been too busy watching the street, to notice how much pain Luke must have been in.

I'm so selfish sometimes.

Why am I not a good person?

I should be more like-

"That bad, huh?" Luke mumbled quietly, looking up at me with big sad blue eyes.

"Do you live far? We might have to clean you up." I sigh, nodding and standing up from where we sat, behind a magazine shelf.

Typical.

"Yeah, just down the road." he says, standing up beside me as we begin to walk out of the shop.