Chapter 14 | Sound Check

Find something that makes you happy,

And don't let anyone take that away from you.

-Luke Hemmings

~~

I wake from my dreamland because of someone. They haven't been shutting up for the past hour and it was probably one in the morning. Tossing and turning. Tossing and turning.

After the room service had given us food we had watched many, many Disney movies. Luke decided it was time for bed, so that's what we did. I had been having a dream.

It was about the night we found Miracle.

~~

The whites of her eyes showing as we opened the barn, raining belting down outside the small, damp building. I had brought Mum along with me and it took hours for us to settle Miracle down. Rearing and screaming carried on for so long, our ears were left ringing after we got her home.

She was petrified, all alone and scared, someone had left her for another life.

Just like me.

She had a long gash all the way along her hind leg, split open. She had kicked down her stall door and a piece of wood flung straight at her, we had later found out.

Mum was different then. Not just physically, but also mentally.

She had a way with animals, understanding them in a way.

She changed after Dad went half-blind. She couldn't bare the sight of horses after it, she was surrounded by them when she got the call.

Dad had been fired after a work accident had occurred because his eye had been gradually getting worse but he had shrugged it off and didn't worry too much about it until it caused problems.

His sight was needed for surgery in the medical career.

He nearly killed a man because of this. He made one simple mistake and nearly cost a man's life. He was shunned, shame overcome himself, not from people around him, guilt grew inside of him. Eating him from the inside.

He doesn't talk much anymore, only when fighting with Mum.

~~

"Shiloh?" I hear a musky voice croak out of the darkness.

"Hmm?" I mumble while I rub the sleep out of my eyes and switch the table lamp on.

Wow that was bright, damn.

"Can I share your bed?" He whispers "I had a nightmare."

I sigh tiredly and nod, him resting instantly by throwing the covers off him and quickly making his way over to my single bed.

How the hell are we going to fit on this?

I shift as much over as possible to make sure Luke has room and we both settle down, turning off the lamp as he pulls the covers over us.

As I stare into his blue eyes and he stare right back, it's only now that I realise something.

He's shirtless.

"Are you okay?" I choke out as I still recover over the realisation and he bites his lip.

Instead of replying he simply wraps his arms around me and pulls me closer to him, into his chest, our warmth meeting one another. His arms felt so nice around me and I feel like nothing can hurt me. He has that effect on me.