Chapter 24 | Torn

In riding a horse,

We borrow freedom.

-Unknown

~~

"You did so well!"

"It was like you guys were flying!"

"Were you scared?"

I was immediately bombarded with compliments and questions when I walked to the small cheering squad I had by the stands. I was blushing furiously when I saw Luke giving me a proud smile of his as he gave me a longing kiss in my cheek.

"Yeah, he was a good boy." I smile as Luke wraps an arm around my waist.

I had rode that course many times before I was the last of the competitors. I sat proud in the saddle as they announced my name as the winner and so did Jester.

"Shiloh, may I speak with you privately?" I turn to see Julie holding my helmet and I look confused as I follow her around the corner.

"I want to tell you I'm very proud of you today," she begins and I smile slightly "I was impressed with your riding skills and as you know, my parents breed warm blood sport horses."

What is she trying to say?

"But that's not the only reason they breed horses of the French breed." she finishes and my heart drops.

"Sorry?" I choke.

"The place they sold Bella, was a show that involved horses," she begins again. "We supply them with French horses as part of the multicultural show, but we also have to look for riders to perform on them, preferably experienced riders who understand horses."

"What kind of riding does this involve?" I say slowly, processing this.

"Mainly liberty but shows roman style riding, I was thinking you would be more interested in liberty and maybe that horse you have is fit for it? Echo is it?" My head was spinning, the opportunity to tour and do the things I love would be mind blowing.

"What breed is he anyway?" She adds in and I look up.

"He's a mix I think, his mother was half Arabian and the sire was wild" I say and she nods in thought.

It was one thing to wake up to your parents saying the neighbours mare was pregnant, it was another to have them say it was a mongrel horse and they wanted nothing to do with it after a brumby broke into their paddock.

"What about my other horses?" I ask, feeling completely guilty even considering this.

"How many have you got?" She says and I answer immediately, "Five."

"I'll have a look when we get back to your house," she plans and I start to frown.

"Why are you even offering now? You've seen me plenty of times riding." I question and she sighs.

"I know about your financial problems at the moment Shiloh, you're only going to struggle for the rest of your life, if you come with us and bring your horses, we provide you with the chance to stay with the horses instead of selling them."

That was true.

But what about the boys and Raine?

I couldn't leave them.

But I would be able to keep the horses.

I could keep Echo.

"Can I think about it?" I say quietly and her face softens.