Chapter 5 | Michael and Calum

I'm a girl,

And yes, I hang out

With guys because

It's less drama

-Unknown

~~

Chucking four biscuits of hay out into the paddock, each in a spaced out area, I watch the horses practically run for their life, towards the food that is.

The key to teaching tricks to any animal is probably treats. I know that, praises at the beginning isn't just enough. It takes a long time, that's for sure.

Three of the four go to food straight away, but Echo comes over to thank me and give me a little cuddle, craning his neck over the fence. I chuckle and step in closer to not make him strain as much, wrapping my arms around his strong neck and soaking in his warmth, burying my face in his mane as he breathes out hot air on my back, it was nice, I know what he was doing though. He knew I had a carrot for him. So I slipped one of my arms back into my back pocket and feeding him it. It was still cold though.

Considering it was five in the morning.

Releasing my arms from his neck I let him have his breakfast. My breath puffs out white coloured smoke-like air caused by the freezing early morning. I had to wake up at this time though, if I wanted to get to work on time.

"I guess I should start to go now." I mumble, not that anyone could hear me though.

I turn away and briskly walk to the house where I left my bag, inside was the essentials ;

A lead rope.

My phone.

Money.

Mints.

Okay, they aren't the normal essentials, I know that, but they are, for me and my job anyway. I throw the bag around my shoulder and grab my bike. Pedalling down the driveway fast, trying to get warmed up. I was freezing and wide awake from the fresh and brisk morning air.

~~

I turned down the path to my job. I enjoyed it, I was helping people get better.

I looked up at the sign as I rode past on my bike.

Riding for the Disabled Association of Australia Limited

My job was to teach disabled and misfortunate children how to ride horses every weekend. The people there were amazing, offering cheap lessons for kids with Down Syndrome, Autism, Amputees and more. The kids were so strong for their age, battling these disabilities head on, fighting back.

I teach the dressage classes and help in the Hippotherapy that they also offer. I have one of many students that I absolutely adore, her name is Hope, she's only 11 but she really lives up to her name.

She was born with Leukaemia.

Therefore she can only have half hour lessons due to fatigue and easily bruising. That doesn't stop her though, she always has a smile when she's around horses, she's also very cooperative in lessons, not throwing fits or tantrums.

I place my bike at the bike rack they installed for me, which I'm grateful for, and I walk through the barn doors, the smell of horses hits me instantly and I smile.

~~

"That's it Hope, just keep your eyes up and your heels down or Prince will stop!" I call from the middle of the arena to little Hope on Prince who was plodding along merrily who I currently lunged on a lunge rope, the horses are used to this, having a child being thrown around on their own back as they trot in a bumpy rhythm. We were half way into our lesson right now, and I was encouraging Hope to gain a better seat.