Chapter 18 | Ben

Health is not valued

Till sickness comes.

- Thomas Fuller

~~

I hadn't seen the boys in three days and haven't heard from them until today, I had been basically writing under the tree at the far end of the paddock the whole time.

Just writing lyrics.

The horses and ponies had accompanied me the whole time and of course I used them as one of the forms of inspiration I had used.

The way they were so free and gentle really was fascinating, not being a threat or enemy of the others, just getting along.

It's a shame the real world isn't like this.

With the wind flowing through their manes and grass beneath them, they play and run and love the life they have. They didn't know it may come to an end soon.

During writing breaks, I would mess with Echo, practicing the tricks I taught him and revising so he won't forget.

My favourites were narrowed down to two. The first being a movement which Echo would stay beside me no matter how far I tried to get away from him, his challenge was to stay directly side-by-side to me, matching my pace but not overtaking me or lacking behind.

The other was a command I loved doing to all the other horses, since I loved it so much on Echo I taught the others. By the simple "Dance." voice command, Echo would immediately pace on the spot with his front two feet while standing and fling his head around with his lip up, showing off his teeth.

When I finally taught the others this trick, I told them to do it at the same time in a line, and I was quite literally laying on the ground that day, laughing my head off.

My phone suddenly buzzed as I stopped walking and dismissed Echo from following, but of course he didn't move as he was quite content beside me.

From Lukey :

I'm still sickk :( come over? X

To Lukey :

I'll be over in a bit

Grabbing my book and pen and vaulting on Echo's back with great effort I canter him bareback all the way to the house, hooves drumming rhythmically on the ground as he powers all the way effortlessly.

I would never get tired of riding on Echo's back. Being with him was home for me.

Each stride swallowing bits of grass and sending them flying out behind us with such power and pride in himself. This is what a proper horse should be like.

Sliding off his tall back I bid farewell to him and race up to my room and grab my guitar case with the guitar inside, finding a backpack and stuffing the camera, my laptop and song book inside.

Throwing my bag over my shoulder and clutching my guitar case I race back down stairs, passing the boring walls I had passed hundreds of time before.

As I go through the door I grab my bike, which was dropped off during the Canberra trip, I drop my backpack into the basket at the front and I fix my guitar on my back with the straps I sewed on.

I was gonna regret putting this on my back later.

My back kills already.

Peddling swiftly down the driveway I throw a wave to the paddock as I spot the horses looking at me. Their ears perk instantly at my attention.