Chapter 15: Friend Or Foe?

"Bad Guy!?" The ghost and dragon gang gasped.

"Guys, it's not what it looks like! I swear!" Heck, now in his human form, denied.

"What you mean 'not what it looks like'!? You released these wackos!" Trixie exclaimed as she gestured towards the villains behind.

"We can hear you, you know!?" Vlad snapped, but he was ignored.

"Ok, true, but..." Heck stammered.

"Dragon up!" Jake shouted. Then he realized he's still under the spell cast by Nigel. Plus, his feet were still encased in a block of ice. "Aw, man!"

The others shared glances, still unsure of what they should do. On one hand, he released villains and caused chaos. But on the other hand, he was secretly helping them fight against the villains.

"We were talking about it last night... We were going to tell you... But we wanted to wait until things settled..." Joe admitted through Tucker's device.

Danny responded to that, "You and Awesome both knew?"

"Guys, look... I'm sorry. I didn't- Argh!" Heck suddenly fell down on a knee. The heroes flinched but didn't rush to help. He lifted his head to face them. His eyes were glowing red. Evil laughter came from behind the heroes, from Vlad.

"Missed one, wizard boy!" Vlad smirked.

Heck's body went ghost and charged towards Spud. He tackled him and snatched the Obsidian staff from him. Sam aimed her suit's built-in ghost gun at the traitor. It glowed, charging up a ray to fire. But Heck fired red rays from his eyes at it. It caused a small explosion on her arm. She was knocked back.

"Sam!! No!" Danny cried as he and Tucker ran to her.

Heck gasped at what happened, "Sh*t!" He took a step towards the ghost gang, but his body stopped him. He tried to resist it. But he started screaming in pain. Vlad was using a ghost stinger attack on him. "You dare disobey me?" The Vlad inside him spoke. After that, it stopped and his eyes glowed red again.

"Don't mess with my friend!" A portal opened beside the human Vlad and Joe tackled him. The villain stumbled back before his assaulter was shot by a ghost ray. The uni student was knocked back and landed on the ground. He leveraged himself up to find that his university friend was the one who shot him. The remaining heroes gasped. Then they charged at the villains.

Heck quickly flew towards the villains. He handed the staff and portal device to them. Immediately, Chang used her staff to break Nigel's spell and transformed themselves. Then she sent out a wave attack on the incoming heroes, forcing them to stop and block.

"Excellent work, Heck. I'd love to take you with me but I need my full strength." Vlad smirked as he pressed some buttons on the remote. The portal to the Outside world changed to somewhere else and they flew through. A duplicate of Vlad flew out of Heck's body, detransforming him. But before he left, he used the stinger on him again. Heck screamed and fell to the ground. Again, the heroes were unsure whether to help or not. After a short while, he finally fell unconscious and Vlad left through the portal. It closed, revealing the eerie silence between the heroes.