Maldives

(LAO)

Maldives...sea, sun, sand...

A paradise.

Since coming here from India, the four of us had done nothing but stroll on the sand, eat fresh food, swim in the cool  bluegreen water and soak under the sun.

"Now this is a vacation," Chong let out a satisfied sigh. Like him, I am also reclining on a lounger under the big beach tent. "A stretch of private beach, no other people around, 24 hour open kitchen and Dayu busy with his sand castle. This is life..."

I smiled at him. Chong had acquired a nice tan for himself. His well sculpted torso is exposed as he only wore beach shorts while lounging around. Beside him is a little table, on top of it is Chong's drink, a tumbler of rum.

I looked at the beach where Dayu and Qing are having fun with the waves under the afternoon sun. With the water lapping on their hips, Dayu shrieked as he tried running away from the oncoming waves but Qing holds him down in his arms.

They are so sweet with each other. And they look so happy while playing like little kids with the waves.

"Are you getting envious on them?" Chong asked.

I frowned at him, "What do you mean..."

"Marriage life suited your friends well. Are you thinking of tying yourself to someone too?" Chong clarified his question.

"What?! No!" I denied that vehemently. "Marriage suits my friends, good for them, but marriage is not for everyone, Chong. I think it's not for me."

My answer elicited a frown from
Chong, "You think it's not for you?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Why?"

"Well, because...look at my Uncle. He is the Chief Aide of the King. His life is so busy he doesn't have the time to get married..."

"I think your Uncle chose not to marry, Lao. It's not because marriage is not for him. He chose not to..." Chong said.

"Whatever," I pursed my lips at him before looking at Qing and Dayu again. "Whether it suits me or not, marriage is still far from my mind. I still want to secure Dayu and Qing. Dayu is a new Consort...he will need guidance..."

"The Queen will do that for the Consort," Chong reminded me.

"And I will help him in anyway I can," I said mulishly. I narrowed my eyes on Chong. "Why are you grilling me about this? What about you? Do you think marriage will suit you?"

"Of course," Chong snickered confidently. "There is nothing I cannot do, Lao. Protecting the Consort, debating with you, guarding the Prince, tolerating Dayu's moods, marriage...I can do them all. Easy peasy..."

I laughed at his confidence. "Well, now all you need to do is find someone who will marry you..."

"And I will find that person, Lao." Chong smiled at me meaningfully. "I will marry that person and I will make him happy."

"How will you make that person happy?" I asked curiously.

"By not taking the Consort with us in our honeymooon," Chong replied without hesitation.