Lines Crossed

(DAYU)

It started as an observation. I was looking at this woman, clearly a shopper, who walks around with her acquisitions when I noticed two men walking not far from her.

I watched in fascination as the two men slowly but surely started walking closer and closer to the lady, like planking her.

"Qing," I poked my husband's side, "I think this place is not that safe." I said.

"What do you mean?" Qing put a hand on my elbow, "It's okay, Love, just stay close to me and all will be well."

"Yeah but those guys..."

"Dayu ah," Qing gave my elbow a squeeze, "Concentrate on walking so you won't trip..."

I sighed, Qing is clearly not in the mood to listen to me. We are walking around and checking stalls. I bought some items like quills and nice looking stationery papers. I also bought a round mirror that I want to store in my office, hand fans, sticky notepads and something special, an old fashioned ink box. It's cute so I bought it.

But now I lost interest in shopping as I continue to watch those men closing in on the woman with her shopping bags in hand. She looks sturdy enough, not too thin or too short and walking briskly. She got a bag slung across her shoulder and wearing sensible footwear.

I think the footwear is important because I think those men getting close to her are not up to any good.

"Robbers? Snatchers?" I bit my lower lip. I look ahead of us to eye Lao and Chong who walks side by side, talking and smiling, looking like they are having fun. From those two, my eyes darted to my husband who looks serious as he studied the complicated concept of this flea market.

Ugh! Why is everyone so busy and not paying attention to those bad men?!

Fine! If they won't do something, I will be the one who will move.

I kept on observing the men, praying that they won't do anything bad so I can keep on shopping with my husband. But then the guy on the right bumped the lady, and when that lady turned her head to see who bumped her, the accomplice on the left casually slipped his hand inside the lady's bag that he unzipped magically.

How do thieves do that? Open bags easily and fast? That's a skill I think I will need to learn. Not for robbing because I think I acquired a fortune when I married Qing but you know, in case I will to do some quick shoplifting and...oh what am I thinking about?!

I have no time to wonder about that, those men robbed that lady! I have to help her!

"Thieves! Those two!" I shouted and pointed at the men as I move to run. Everyone who heard me shout look at me first before they followed my hand pointing at the robbers. The robbers also looked at me and their eyes widened when they see that I busted them.

The lady they robbed screamed, the men ran and I ran after them. I let go the bags on my hand go. Fuck shopping, I have thieves to catch!

"Dayu ah!" I heard Qing shouting my name but I ignored him. I ran after those thieves who started shoving people out of their ways.

"Out of the way! Out of the way! Those are thieves! Catch them!" I shouted as I ran after the criminals. I saw one of them tripped so I ran faster to catch that guy.

Thankfully, I got hold of the one who tripped. I grabbed the back of his collar and shove him hard but the guy flailed and he turned around swinging. His arm caught my jaw and the pain from the impact makes me staggered on my feet.