Chapter 8

"His funeral is next month." Tess announced after my tears had subsided. It took a long time, possibly an hour but like the sui generis person she was, she remained calm and only patted my back, silently offering support.

Like every dead person, he was supposed to be buried. But last we heard, his body was lost in the East River. How would a funeral take place if there was no body?

"But his body hasn't been found, how then will he be buried?" I hoped she would tell me he has been found. That way, I could see him  dead or alive and pay my respects.

"He hasn't but my parents just want a funeral to take place. Mum is so depressed, she feels through the funeral, she could have him nearby even if it meant, six feet under. He would be buried in our home in Southampton, England." She said. I couldn't imagine the pain Gemma felt. Losing your husband years ago and then your son was enough to give up on life. I hoped she was strong enough for Tess and Taylor. They still needed her.

"Will you come?" Tess' question brought me back to earth.

"I would never miss it for the world." I answered. How would I? It was important to me as it was to them.

"Great! I'll let mum know. I think the rest of your family will attend as well. Ana mentioned that last night." She stated. I had absolutely no idea of that decision but it was fine with me. We all had to say our final goodbyes to Jason.

It felt strange thinking about that. Only few weeks ago, he was with me at the hospital while we talked and planned our future. Now we were planning his funeral. Life be damned!

"I feel so empty." I cried. I just wanted to wake up and realise that this was all a dream. That Jason was alive and well. That we were still together, even if it meant I was still blind. I'd trade my sight for him to be with me again.

"Me too. Jason was the best big brother ever. When dad married mum, he didn't treat me differently knowing we weren't related. I was expecting a cold, standoffish person but he turned out sweet and kind. He helped me so much. I can never forget him. Never!" She vowed amidst tears. We hugged each other again, sharing raw pain.

I wondered for the umpteenth time, Will it ever get better?

**************************

Mum discovered I had eaten the breakfast she brought earlier. Therefore, at lunch, she packaged a heavy meal. I'm sure she thought it was gonna be my last meal of the year. Never had I seen noodles this grand for one person. From the ambrosia and taste, I realized it had tidbits of fish and carrots and some other gourmet ingredients. She made it hot and spicy, just the way I liked it.

My stomach begged for more with each morsel I took. I had to increase the amount of food I gathered with my chopsticks. I had mastered the art of using chopsticks even before my trip to China when I was twelve so eating this sort of meal hot and fast was a breeze for me.

After eating to my stomach's content, I downed it with a glass of fruit juice she brought along. Then proceeded to take my medicine which was also available, and drank water.

I set the leftovers back outside my room. A little voice inside me yelled that it was time to make peace with my family and I should take the meal back to the kitchen, thanking them for a start. But I chose to ignore it and hurried back into my room before any noticed.

For the next minutes or hours—I didn't count—I spent my time staring at more pictures of Jason.  My mind noodled over how I'd feel if I saw him in person. These pictures proved indefective that he was an eye candy. The latest picture I had proved to be quite recent. It was during the surprise party I had planned at the beach for him. I don't know how I was able to figure that out but I just knew. From his white V-neck shirt, I noticed he was muscular just like Charles and George. These guys must have been really working out to have profound abs. He wore a pair of ripped jeans which clung to his waist although he was sitting on the sand. The reflection of the sun seemed to make his hair more golden than normal. This was all sense of manliness in one body. I couldn't help but swoon at the picture.

He wasn't staring at the camera again and I began to get the feeling that candid pictures looked better and had more life to them than posed or rehearsed ones. I followed his gaze to what he was staring at enthusiastically wanting to know what had captured his attention. He was staring at me. I was the only person who had a different colour of skin amongst us then. It had to be me. I remember the light sweater I wore which gave me little warmth as the cold intensified that evening. I was trying to tuck my hair behind my ears which was becoming a huge mess courtesy of the wind. I wasn't smiling but I looked happy. I knew I was in love with him even at that moment. It was obvious; the glow!

I looked fixedly at both of us. I wondered how he managed to love someone like me. I was just an ordinary girl. I was sure he had met more women who were far beautiful and classy.

"My God! Cassiopeia, you should see yourself. You are the definition of beautiful. You've turned out to be the mature and more beautiful version of the child I knew. I'm so glad you're mine."

I smiled remembering his words when I had doubts concerning my beauty and his words were so comforting. I was elated he loved me. That sure did make me one lucky girl!

Like a flash, I remembered that for the past three weeks that I had received my sight, I hadn't seen myself. I jumped off the bed and walked into my closet where a large mirror hung by the side of the wall.

And for the first time ever, I saw myself.