Chapter 12

I still hadn't left my room but I was able to settle everything and reunite with my family again. After the emotional conversation with mum and Ana, I wanted to speak with dad badly but still scared that leaving this room, aka my comfort zone, would bring back memories I wasn't ready to remember.

My mother and cousin understood my predicament therefore, they convinced dad to come see me. Convincing him was a breeze as I watched my dad come in and walked up to me, minutes after they left.

We didn't talk much as we hugged each other and let our actions speak for us. At the end, I apologized for being rude days ago at the surprise party and let's just say, he accepted. As he said, he never took my outburst to heart.

I was glad I had my dad back! We talked for hours and even had dinner together up in my room, while watching TV at the LG flat screen television in my room. An Artiste called Drake performed ‘In my feelings’ or whatever the title was to a crowd of people I thought were going psycho chanting lyrics to the song. I could see girls screaming the artiste's name probably wishing he would marry them. I also knew within me that some had short term goals of him with them. Perhaps a one night stand with him as number one on their bucket lists. They were that desperate!

Now I knew what fangirling meant.

I concluded that dad was bored of watching MTV base but was bent on pleasing me so instead of complaining, he sat patiently, watching but not paying attention. Maybe he was already wondering the present news on CNN or BBC.  I had to do something to make him happy so I permitted him to change the channel. He fussed and feigned enjoying the present show but I knew better. At last, he gave in and grabbed the remote. I couldn't change the TV channel myself since I had been blind my whole life up until now, and hadn't always been enthusiastic about learning. However, I peered eagerly at the way he positioned the remote and the buttons he pressed. Realizing my keen interest, dad took it upon himself to teach me how to make use of it; switching channels, reducing and increasing the volume, muting the TV, turning it on and off, and so on.

Soon I became a pro at it but still settled on CNN to make my dad feel comfortable. He noticed my caring act and thanked me by pulling me to his arms and giving me a kiss on my forehead. Although it wasn't the same newscaster, I was equally apprehensive about watching this channel as I remembered the first time I had watched it, I was informed of Jason's death.

Moreover, remembering that sent a shiver up my spine and I held on to my dad a little tighter and closed my eyes, hoping sleep would take me away.

This was one of those moments when my wishes came true as I was overtaken by sleep the second dad covered me with my blanket. I was so grateful sleep chose the right moment to arrive!

*************************

I woke up the next morning, feeling weirdly sad and disturbed and I had no idea why. Part of me knew it wasn't normal. Was something bad about to happen? I often had this awful feeling when something strange was about to happen.

The idea that something strange was about to happen lingered as I took a shower. I had a bathtub in my enormous bathroom but I had never made use of it. As a blind person, it just wasn't something I felt I'd enjoy so it was a 'No' for me. I mean, why would I spend so much time in the tub when I could get clean on time by making use of the shower? It just didn't make sense.

After showering, I wore a black tank top and matching boy shorts from my closet, pairing it up with my neon green flip-flops. Yeah, it was just like every other lazy day where I wore comfortable clothes that I could feel relaxed in.

"Cassiopeia, Honey I brought your meal. Good morning!" Mum's cheerful demeanor was enough to lighten my mood. Earlier on, I sensed I was gonna lose my appetite but with the way mum looked bubbly and peachy, my appetency was renewed.

I savored the pancakes and blueberry syrup like it was my last meal. I still wasn't permitted to take coffee because of the nagging headache I had before the surgery, so a tall glass of milk was prepared instead which I devoured as well.

I fell asleep on mum's laps, feeling so comfortable and refreshed. There was something special about mothers and food.

                              •••

Rays of the sun penetrated from the window into my eyes, stirring me awake in the process. It had to be midday I guess. Mum was nowhere in sight. Perhaps she had gone for an auction or whatever it was she did by this time of day.

I heard an almost silent knock and gazed at the door. I heard it again quite louder than the first but it could still be classified as a silent knock. It seemed like whoever it was wanted to be heard and at the same time hesitant to come in. I rolled my eyes thinking it was Tess. Perhaps she felt I hadn't entirely forgiven her for the stunt everyone pulled on me that time at dinner.

I gruntled as got off my bed and walked to the door. Taking hold of the doorknob, I rotated it and watched while it slowly unlatched.

"Tess you don't have t—" The rest of my sentence got lost in my throat as I realized it wasn't Tess but someone who had never been into my house not to mention my bedroom.

For a bodyguard, he seemed shy and out of place. I wondered if mum sent him over to relay a message to me. Otherwise there shouldn't be a reason why he was standing here, patiently waiting for my approval to come in. He wasn't a guest either.

I chose to break the awkward silence by speaking up.

"Hey Peter..."