Chapter 26: The Unexpected Misery

AFTER 8 YEARS...

“Follow what you what in life for that you will find success. But what is success? Success is not about fame. It is not money or power. Success is waking up in the morning so excited that you literally fly out the door. Hindi natatamo ng buhay ang tagumpay sa simpleng paraan, minsan may sarili itong paraan para makuha natin ito. Success is getting to work with people you love. Success is connecting with the world and making the people feel that you’re one of them. It is finding a way to bind together people who have nothing in common but a dream. It is falling asleep at night knowing you did the best job you could. Success is joy and freedom. Success is friendship. And success is love. Again, congratulations graduates. I wish you the best this life can offer. Good day to each and everyone.”

Nagsitayuan ang mga tao sa bulwagan ng Santa Monica National High School kasabay ng masigabong palakpakan. Siya ang kinuhang panauhing pandangal para sa pagtatapos ng mga bata. Pinaunlakan niya iyon kahit busy ang kanyang schedule. Malaki ang ipinagbago ng kanilang paaralan. Mas dumami ang building niyon at lumaki na ang mga puno. Naroon pa rin ang mga guro niya noong high school.

Pagkatapos niyang magsalita at kamayan ng mga guro, lumulan agad siya sa sasakyan para umuwi sa Manila. Apat na oras na biyahe rin iyon.

“What’s my next appointment?” tanong niya sa kanyang assistant na si Joressa.

“You have a dinner with Mr. Nakumara for their  investment proposal.”

“How about tomorrow?”

“You have a meeting with Ms. Lorraine Jean Carreon and the rest of Finance department. And on Friday, two days from now, you have a three-day business conference for SEC and BSP updates regarding the new banking rulings at Manila Yatch Club.”

Tumaas ang kilay niya sa sinabi nito. “You know I don’t attend business conference.” For the past 2 years, she refused to be present in different business conferences in the Philippines. Palaging ang ama niya o kaya representative nila ang ipinapadala  nila para pumunta.

“Well Mr. Madrigal won’t be there. He has some sort of emergency and he instructed that you should be the one to go and it’s time for you to come out from your shell.”

“Come out from my shell? I’ve been working my butt off for five years, Joressa!”

“You are simply existing in this world, my dear, not living.”

Pinaikot ni Jacel ang mga mata sa sinabi nito. Dalawang taon na rin ang babae sa kanya. At ito lang ang nakakagawa noon sa kanya. Minsan pakiramdam niya, ito ang amo niya.

“Wala na?” buntong-hininga niya.

“After your business conference, you have a date with one of the person you’ll meet there. Someone who will sweep off you feet.”