Chapter 30: The Unexpected Ending

LIFE IS A chance. So she was taking her chance. Jacel had learned the hard way in life.  Her struggles were a succession of lessons meant to be understood. On her part, she had understood it well, too well that she built a wall around her. That was her resilience from pain. But she went too far. Finally, she understood that lesson completely.

What she was seeing was a gift from heaven. When was the last time she saw His creation? Eight years ago? While others preferred this scenery as forlornness, end of the day, she viewed it the other way. It meant tranqulity for her. Finding hope and inner peace.

At once, there seemed an unseen forces swallowing up the muckiness in her, foul emotions swirling up away from her. And it felt good. She walked around the lake, waiting the sun to be reunited with its lover, and it was almost kissing it. The feeling was heartwarming.

“Kumusta na kayo,” kausap niya sa araw at lawa ng Santa Monica Park. “Matagal ko kayong hindi nakita. Don’t tell me may mga anak na kayo.” Tumawa siya, siguro kung may makakakita sa kanya mapagkakamalan siyang baliw.

“They should have. Kung nagtiwala at hindi lang bumitiw ‘yong isa sa kanila.”

May pag-asam na lumingon siya kay Lindon. His eyes, his expressive eyes were talking again. He looked so young in his board shorts and v-neck white shirt. The funny side of her shouted that he was hot. He was so handsome, oozing with sex appeal.

She smiled and so did he, and they interlocked into the other dimension they only knew. Their hands intertwined and so did their hearts.

He pressed her hand tighter, grateful by the warmth coming from him.

“May nagturo sa akin noon para mawala ang sakit at hinanakit natin sa buhay. Magsabi ka ng isang salita, sasabihin natin iyon ng paulit-ulit at papalakas nang papalakas hanggang sa mawalan tayo ng boses,” sabi ni Lindon.

“Kahit anong salita?”

“Oo, kahit ano. Kahit ‘yong kinakaasaran mo, o sa taong galit ka. Game? Salitan tayo.”

Nag-isip siya ng salita na maari nilang gamitan.

“Agamata.”

“Agamata?” he asked. “The college instructor?” he asked, laughing. “You really hate that teacher?”

She smiled, rolling her eyes. “Oh, I really hate her guts.”

“Okay,” he said.

“Agamata,” she spoke softly

“Agamata,” he said.

“Agamata,” she said louder.