Chapter Eleven

**Disclaimer** I do not own any of the HP characters or any of the excerpts from the book.

"Aren't you Lucius Malfoy's son?" asked Wood, looking at Malfoy with dislike.

"Funny you should mention Draco's father," said Flint as the whole Slytherin team smiled still more broadly. "Let me show you the generous gift he's made to the Slytherin team."

All seven of them held out their broomsticks. Seven highly polished, brand-new handles and seven sets of fine gold lettering spelling the words Nimbus Two Thousand and One gleamed under the Gryffindors' noses in the early morning sun.

"Very latest model. Only came out last month," said Flint carelessly, flicking a speck of dust from the end of his own. "I believe it outstrips the old 2000's by a considerable amount."

I looked down at the broom in my hand, tightening my grip on the handle. I was so excited to have this broom. Sure, I probably could have purchased a 2001 - I had the money, I just didn't want to waste it. But the scene playing out in front of me somewhat made me want to change my mind.

None of the Gryffindor team could think of anything to say for a moment. Malfoy was smirking so broadly his cold eyes were reduced to slits.

"Oh look," said Flint. "A field invasion."

Ron and Hermione were crossing the grass to see what was going on. 

"What's happening?" Ron asked Harry. "Why aren't you playing? And what's he doing here?"

He was looking at Malfoy, taking in his Slytherin Quidditch robes.

"I'm the new Slytherin Seeker, Weasley," said Malfoy, smugly. "Everyone's just been admiring the new brooms my father's bought our team."

Ron gaped, open-mouthed, at the seven superb broomsticks in front of him. 

"Good, aren't they?" said Malfoy smoothly. 

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in," said Hermione sharply. "They got in on pure talent."

The smug look on Malfoy's face flickered. "No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood." he spat.

I could see Fred about to jump on Malfoy so I grabbed him by the arm, holding him back. Flint dove in front of Malfoy to keep the twins off of him. "How dare you?" Alicia shrieked.

Ron plunged his hand into his pocket for his wand, yelling, "You'll pay for that one, Malfoy!" I could so what was about to happen and tried to stop him.

"Ron, no!" I shouted, reaching my arm out to grab his, but I was too late and trying to control Fred did not make it any easier. A loud bang echoed around the stadium and a jet of green light shot out of the wrong end of Ron's wand, hitting him in the stomach and sending him reeling backward onto the grass.

"Ron! Ron! Are you alright?" squealed Hermione.

Ron opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. Instead he gave an almighty belch and several slugs dribbled out of his mouth onto his lap.

The Slytherin team was paralyzed with laughter. Flint was doubled up, hanging onto his new broomstick for support. Malfoy was on all fours, banging the ground with his fist. The rest of us were gathered around Ron, who kept belching large, glistening slugs. We were all afraid to touch him.

Harry and Hermione finally decided to take him to Hagrid's since it was nearest, leaving us to deal with the howling Slytherins. It took all my will power to not go straight up to Malfoy and sock him in the jaw.