Unfair

The next day, at around the same time, the kids were asleep, Lucas and I were- you know- hanging out in the bedroom, and Riley paid us a visit.

I was cut off in a particularly loud - er- laugh, when someone knocked on the door. We dressed. I threw on Lucas's t-shirt and a pair of shorts, Lucas threw on jeans and a hoodie. I ran to the door, smoothing down my hair, and yanked it open.

"Riley!" I said, hugging her and pulling her into the living room.

"I have something to tell you guys," she said.

I was immediately suspicious.

"What is it?" I asked.

She pulled me over to the sofa, and we sat down. Lucas sat down next to me with his arm around my shoulders. Riley took a deep breath.

"I want to be a werewolf."

"What?" I said.

"Maya, just let me talk," she cried.

"No!" I yelled.

I tried to imagine Riley like me, like Lucas. Able to turn into a giant beast. I didn't want that to happen to my smiley Riley.

"Why not, Maya?" she yelled back.

"Just... no!" I said, rubbing my temples. I paced into the kitchen, and Riley followed.

"I want to be immortal, Maya! You knew that! How is it fair that you get to be with Lucas forever, but I only get a crummy eighty years with Farkle? Hmm? And this wouldn't happen to me, ever again!" she cried, pulling up her shirt to reveal the marring stitches. I grimaced, "Exactly, Maya. This wouldn't happen to me. You heard the elders, there are risks to me being here. To me being with Farkle. There shouldn't be any risks to me being with the guy I love!"

"Fine, fine!" I said, "I get it. Why are you telling me?"

"Because-" she hesitated.

"Spit it out, Riley!" I cried.

"I want you to change me!" she said quickly. There was a stunned silence.

"Me? Why? No- I can't- I couldn't-" I spluttered.

"Why not, Maya? You're a werewolf. You're just as capable of doing it as Lucas or Farkle," she said, crossing her arms. 

"I can't let your life depend on me! What if I messed up? Then you would be dead, and it would be my fault, and you would be dead!" I shouted, "Let Farkle do it!"

"I don't want Farkle to do it, I want you to do it!" she cried.

"Maya," Lucas whispered in my ear. I batted him away.

"What if I don't want to?" I said self-righteously.

"Maya," Lucas whispered urgently.

"Not now, Lucas," I said.

"MAYA!" he yelled.

"What?" I whirled around, stunned.

"She gets to choose who changes her. It's a werewolf law," he said, burying his face in his hands.

"No," I breathed.

"Yes!" Riley cried.

"Why me, Riley? Why me?" I asked.

"Because, Maya. You're the reason we got involved with werewolves. Besides, as much as I love Farkle, I don't trust anyone as much as I trust you," she said, wrapping her arms around me. I hugged her for a few seconds before pushing her away and wrapping my arms around myself, curling inward.

"You wouldn't do that to me," I whispered, clinging to what little self-assurance I had left.

"This isn't about you, Maya," she said gently.

Then, she was gone.