12. Here to Stay Part 2

Ding Dong!

"Maria, could you get that?" Noah called out from his bedroom. "I'm getting dressed."

For a moment, I was tempted to walk myself to his bedroom and try my luck, see if the door was unlocked. If it was, I surely would've seen him half naked and that was a sight I wasn't opposed to seeing. Actually, I wouldn't have minded at all.

I mentally slapped myself on the wrist, knowing that my dirty thoughts were completely inappropriate. Noah and I's relationship had to be strictly platonic. There couldn't be any romantic feelings between the two of us because I was forced to look at him as a brother. My abuela took him in off the streets and he became family. Liking my "brother", in more ways than one, would get Noah kicked back onto the streets again. There was no way in hell my abuela would let him stay in the house if she knew there was any messing around.

Looking at things from a different view, I should be thankful. I needed to keep my distance from boys and relationships. After everything I'd been going through with Damian there was just no way I was ready for another relationship. Noah deserved more than a washed up, used, depressed, high school slut. Grades needed to be my number one priority.

Ding Dong.

"Maria!" Noah yelled again.

"Alright, alright!" I snapped, tossing my book down on the floral clothed couch before stomping my way down the stairs.

Opening up the door, I was face to face with Noah's football friend from Pensacola. They met during a training camp a summer ago and kept in touch ever sense. His family was in Philly for a few weeks, why? I didn't know nor did I care.

I forced my eyes to meet with his and I gave him the brightest, warmest smile that I was capable of giving. I assumed it was alright since he gave me an equally as inviting smile.

The teenage boy had tan skin, a buzz cut, full pink lips, a sharp jawline, brown eyes, and a height that completely towered over mine, and I was five feet seven inches. Writing the physical features down didn't do the kid justice. He was pretty good looking in my eyes. Damn.

"I'm Joe," his deep voice made me shiver. Puberty hit him hard.

"I'm—"

I was cut off by an obnoxiously loud Noah who came stammering his way down the carpeted stairs. A bright smiled was played across his lips as he brought his friend in for one of those bro hugs. They patted each other on the back before releasing the hold and following through with a hand shake of sorts. I'd seen Noah do it with some boys from school on multiple different occasions.

"Come on in, how've you been? Catch me up on life bro," Noah said to Joe, too eager for my liking.

Joe stepped in and as he did so, I took a step back. I stepped out of his way and ushered him down the stairs to the basement. I figured that's where Noah would take him since that's where the tv and hidden alcohol was.

Noah began his way down the stairs to the basement of the house and Joe followed slow on his trails, stopping to turn back to me and giving me another smile. Something odd happened... I smiled back, without even thinking about it, without forcing it. It'd been a while since I genuinely smiled and I mentally thanked him for giving me the pleasure.

"Maria, come down with us. You two should get to know each other," Noah demanded, waving a hand at me. Joe looked at me, waiting to see what I'd do or say.