Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Growing Closer To Asher

"When I was a little kid, my life seemed perfect. I had my mom, my dad, and my twin brother. Everything was great, at least until my father got fired. I always would try to ,ale excuses for what he did, he was just under a lot of stress. I was such a naive little kid.l

When my brother and I turned 13, my father gave us the worst birthday gift ever. He gave me a gun, and my brother a bottle of Whiskey. Little did we know, he was drunk that whole night. He took the gun, and killed my mother right in front of me. I didn't know what was going on, he told me that it was all a dream. Abigail, it wasn't a dream."

I gasped, and Asher continued.

"He would beat us daily, but there wasn't anything we could do. We were too scared to call the police, and too scared to fight back. On our 16th birthday, my father told us only one of us would get to live. He played eeny, meeny, miney, moe, and shot whoever he chose. The last shot was at my brother's heart. The neighbors finally realized what was happening, and they called the police. My father is in the highest security prison available, and has a life sentence. Your brothers convinced your dad to let me stay here, I will forever be grateful to them." 

I cried. I cried for his brother. I cried for his mom. And I cried for him. I cried for Asher. 

Asher took his shirt off, and pointed to a scar I never noticed on his shoulder. 

"That was the last shot he shot at me," he explained. I did something I never thought I would ever initiate, I kissed him. Our tears mixed, and our lips played. It was a kiss of sadness, of all of the pain Asher went through. All the pain I wish I could take away from him. The boy, no man, I loved.

I knew then that I loved Asher. I wouldn't ever let him go.

He pulled away, and he rested his forehead against mine. 

"Abi, stay with me tonight."

That night we both fell asleep together, finding comfort in each other's presence and warmth. I just wished that every night could be like this.