Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Being Avoided Hurts

I get up and make eye contact with Asher. He quickly glances away and sits in the farthest seat away from me. I sat back down, knowing that he has already given up.

The next few periods were very lonely, my brothers were ignoring Asher and I. Asher had other friends so it wasn't a big deal for him. But me? I don't have anyone. All I have is myself. What hurt the most was how I had every class with Asher. He didn't even try to talk to me once.

During lunch time, we have access to the field outside. I knew I wasn't welcomed at my brothers' table, so I sat against a tree and ate my lunch. Nobody talked to me, and I didn't talk the whole day. 

The rest of the school day was just as bad. All I wanted to do was cry, but I knew I shouldn't. I've dealt with this before, so why should I cry over it? At the end of the day, I saw the boys talk to Asher again. They all seemed fine. Fine without me.

Instead of taking the car home, I ran home again. I knew the boys had football practice again, so I wouldn't have to deal with them talking and having fun in front of me. When I got home, I sat in my tree and blasted music. After drowning in self pity for a while, I decided to make use of my time. 

I walked to my father's office, where I knew he would be. I knocked on the door, and heard a faint response. 

"Could I have some money please?" I asked him.

He gave me no response, but handed me two hundred dollar bills. 

"Thank you," I said, and walked out. I ran to the nearest hardware store, and grabbed a bunch of wood. I also bought a hammer, and nails. It was very hard to bring it all home, but I managed. I got home at around 5 PM, and I dragged my stuff in. I headed to my room, and started hammering the planks together so that I made a platform. I made 5 of those platforms, but then I realized that I needed a saw to make windows. 

I headed to the garage, and was hoping that we had a saw. Of course, I tripped on something and fell towards onto a nail. 

"FVCK!" The nail pierced through my skin, and was stuck. I grabbed onto the nail, closed my eyes, and pulled it out with a scream. My leg was bleeding, but other then that I was fine. 

I limped up the stairs, knowing there had to be a band-aid somewhere. After looking forever for one, I headed towards my father's room, hoping he had one somewhere. I heard another 'come in', and headed into the office. 

"Do you happen to have any bandaids?" He passed me a bandaid, and looked back to his papers. With my eyes still watering, I limped out and headed to my room. 

"Why is there blood on the floor?" I heard Jordan ask. I guess my brothers are now home. I ignored him, and continued limping to my room. When I got in, I headed toward the bathroom in my room and cleaned out the cut. I put the bandaid over it, and headed back to the garage. 

This time, I was more careful. I got lucky and found a saw. I walked out of the garage and headed back to my room. I had to run into another one of my brothers. 

"Why do you have a saw?" Jack asks. Like I did with Jordan, I ignored Jack and headed back to my room. I scetched out a large square on the top half of three of the large squares of hammered together wood. On another one, I sketched a rectangel for the door of my tree house. 

Right when I started sawing, I heard a knock on my door. Out of everyone who walked in, my dad walked in!