Golden Hours Pt.1

A/N: Don't forget this is a modern AU, so they have phones/cameras in this story. 

Anne's POV:

I walked through the forest towards the big oak tree. Leaves crunched under my boots as I breathed in the crisp air. Luckily, Marilla didn't give me as many chores today, so I was able to leave a little earlier than expected. I brought a backpack full of snacks. Early this morning I called Gilbert to tell him to bring a blanket and a book because I had something planned for us this evening. Of course, he only agreed after a small quarrel about whether I would tell him where we were going or not. 

The top branches of the magnificent tree blossomed into view as I came closer. Under the tree, I could see Gilbert leaned against its base reading a book. His legs crossed at the ankle as a look of concentration lay across his features. A backpack, similar to my own laid on the floor next to his feet. As I drew nearer he looked up from his book. His face immediately lit up upon seeing me.

"How long have you been here? Not too long I hope." I smiled as I placed my bag down next to his.

"No," he checked his watch. "I've only been here for an hour." 

"An hour!" I looked at him shocked. "You didn't need to be here so early. I told you I had chores to finish. You're lucky I didn't have as many tasks to complete today, otherwise, it would have been another ninety minutes before I arrived."

"Yes, I know. I just wanted to get out of the house for a bit. Enjoy the serene aura of the forest, you know. It's quite a beautiful place to just sit and read," he gestured towards his book. 

"What book is that?"

Gilbert turned the book over and looked at the cover. "It's called Amybeth of Ireland."

"How wonderful! I don't think I have read that one before." I kneeled down beside my backpack and pulled out my own book. "I brought this," I showed him the book. 

"Jane Eyre?"

"Yes, why have you read it already?" I became worried.

"No, I haven't. It's just...I knew it was one of my mother's favorites." 

"I-I didn't know," my face fell.

"It's alright Anne. How could you have known?" he gave a soft smile. "Why did you request I bring a book anyway."

I blushed. "Okay, it going to sound stupid but I was hoping to trade books so we could read them and discuss them after we've finished." I rambled, getting nervous. "But if you don't want to I completely understand because it was a lame idea, to begin with, and on top of that the book I brought probably isn't the best choice considering it's connection to your mother-"

He chuckled. "Anne, breathe." He grasped my shoulders. "I already reassured you it's fine. I would be glad to read a book that my mother was very fond of. And your idea is not lame, it's unique and thoughtful." 

 I smiled and exhaled, releasing all my previous worry. "Good."

He held out his book and I did the same. Once we had switched we both sat down and leaned against the trunk of the tree, so close our shoulders touched. 

We both dove into our books and a comfortable silence fell upon us.   

---

Gilbert's POV:

"Amybeth is so oblivious. Lucas clearly has feelings for her and she completely ignores him. The entire village was practically anticipating their wedding from the moment they met. I still can't believe it took her so long to forgive him. Fourteen years Gilbert! Can you believe it took them fourteen-fricken-years to get together! I appreciate a good tragical romance but this was excruciatingly painful."