Spin the Bottle

Anne's POV:

I smiled to myself as I made my way home from the Blythe-Lacroix farm. I could still feel his strong arms wrapped around my waist and the small breaths that tickled against my ear as we held each other. The fridged afternoon air bit at my cheeks and small puffs of smoke left my lips as I breathed out a sigh.

My heart soared and I felt like I was on cloud 9. The change in Gilbert was unbelievable, the sparkle in his eyes had returned and the mischievous smirk had come back to haunt me. Once the tension had left us and our friendship was restored it felt as if a weight was being lifted off my shoulders. His forgiveness had relieved me of the guilt that had burdened me since the day I cut our ties.

It brightened my mood to know that he and I will be able to talk like we used to.

I missed hanging out with Gil. His friendship wasn't like any other. It was like I could talk to him for hours and never get bored because he kept me on my feet. He understood my views while also opening my mind up to new possibilities. I could tell him things and he wouldn't judge me...at least that's what it feels like.

I hummed a joyous tune as I skipped along the dirt path to Green Gables. Before long, the gate of my home stood just a few feet from me, but I stopped my song as I heard a bunch of footsteps approaching quickly. I whirled around to find out what all the noise was about and I spotted Jerry, Cole, Diana, and Ruby running to catch up to me.

Jerry, being the fastest runner, got to me first.

"Where were you? We waited outside your last class, but you weren't there," he panted out the words as he bent forward to rest his hands on his knees.

Soon the rest of them were resting in similar positions, trying to even out their racing hearts. I gave them a minute to relax before I answered Jerry's question. One by one they each straightened out and watched me expectantly.

"After Jerry and Cole helped me take Gilbert to the nurse I stayed behind to make sure he would be alright. He hit his head pretty hard and I had to be positive that there wasn't any severe damage," I told them as I leaned against the gate behind me.

It was creepy how in sync they all were today. All four of their faces changed to the same knowing look, the same smirk mirrored across each pair of lips. Their expressions were teasing me and I rolled my eyes.

"Psshh, and you said you didn't like him like that," Ruby stood with a hand on her hip.

"Cause I don't," I narrowed my eyes at the blonde.

"But just a few days ago you told Cole and I that you-," Diana stopped mid-sentence as I glared daggers at my bosom friend.

Cole turned to Ruby, "A few days ago Anne told us that she's in love with Gilbert."

I facepalmed and shook my head.

"Cole," I said through gritted teeth, "Why did you tell them that?"

"Because it's true, and you're too scared to admit it to anyone else."

My blood boiled and my head snapped up.

"Okay, fine! So what if I like Gilbert! It's not like that changes anything. We're just friends."

"You have to tell him. He needs to know," Jerry gave a stern look.

"Gilbert doesn't need to know anything. Just drop it!"

I turned on my heel and stomped off towards my front door. They all murmured things amongst themselves as they trailed behind me. All of us trickled into the warm house and we walked in silence up to my room.