Playful Rivalry

Anne's POV:

Yesterday felt like a dream.

Had I dreamt it? Am I that lonely that my mind is able to make me dream up an entire adventure? No. It was real...Right? I don't even remember getting back home.

I sat up on my bed and glanced over at my phone charging on the desk. Rays of sunlight shone through my lace curtains. It seemed to create a spotlight on my phone. Should I check for the photos? What if they weren't there?

Hesitantly, I walked over to the desk and I grasp onto the back of my device. It was faced down on the desk and once I turned it I breathed out a sigh of relief. My lock screen was a collage of Gilbert and our picture together. For a second there I was so worried-wait a second, collage? When did I make that? When did I set it as my lock screen? How did I even get home?

A bell tone interrupted my internal moral quandary.

From: Slate-face 💙

Hope u like your new lock screen, Carrots :) If u woke up wondering how u got home last night, I had to carry u home. And before u start apologizing and claiming that I could have just woken u up, no I couldn't have, because you looked so peaceful sleeping. And no the task did not burden me. I brought u back to green gables around 10 and Matthew let me in. Btw, check your camera roll.

Another ding sounded.

From: Slate-face 💙

Meet me at the oak tree in 20 minutes.

"Ding!" Jeez, I'm popular today.

From: Bosom Best Friend 🍓💕

Where were you yesterday??? Cole and I stopped by your house at 2 and Marilla said u went out?

I decided to answer Gilbert's text first. I'll just call Diana later.

To: Slate-face 💙

When I woke up this morning I was sure last night had been a dream 😹 Thanks for carrying me home, but just know that if I ever do that again just wake me up. See u at the oak, Perseus ;)

I read over our text messages smiling. Btw, check your camera roll.

What?

I closed the messaging app and clicked on my photos. I involuntarily rolled my eyes once I had seen the obnoxious selfies taking up most of my storage. I looked through them and found that he had also taken pictures of me sleeping.

What a creep? I laugh.

I shook my head and started my playlist so I could get ready and meet up with Gil.

---

Gilbert's POV:

As I sat under the giant oak I decided to continue the habit of writing poetry. However, all I could think about was a certain red-head. Due to my distracted thoughts, I gave in and all of my work described one person. The only thing that seemed to be the topic of my thoughts lately.

As I read through my writing I couldn't help but smile as I think of her.

You, my boy, are in big trouble if you're already in love with her. Ever since my talk with Bash, I would constantly hear his voice repeat those words every time I was around her or even thinking about her.