Two Hearts, One Love

Caution: @Paulinaxvera has returned and she is now a temporary character in this chapter. She adds some strange stuff to the story, but it's fun don't worry. I don't know why I agreed to put her in this story but just know that everything her character does has been done by her in real life.
---

Two hearts, one love
All the depths of pain,
Everlasting love connected at last
Forever in love, forever at last.

---

Anne's POV:

Gil and I sat near a window towards the back of the library. A book laid across the top of my knees as they were pulled close to my chest. Gil, who was currently trapping me between his body and the wall was also indulged in a book. I didn't mind, however, because being near him always offered a sense of security and warmth.

"What book are you reading?" I asked, placing my book on the windowsill next to me and stretching my legs out.

"Amybeth of Ireland," he replied without averting his gaze from the pages.

"Again?" I tilted my head sideways questioningly, "You were reading that book a few months back when we exchanged books. I mean, I won't chastise you for rereading it, but what is so intriguing about this series. I would like to know since I haven't read the full works yet, myself."

He finally looked up from his book to engage further into our conversation, turning his full attention to me.

"I love reading these books because it reminds me of you," he smiled, "Of us."

"How so?"

"Do you remember your little rant about the first book after we did the exchange? Do you remember what you said?"

"No," I leaned my back against the wall as I turned to face him.

He smiled, "If I recall correctly, you were mad at the fact that Amybeth was oblivious to her situation. You claimed that she ignored Lucas even when his feelings and intentions were clear. So clear that the 'entire village was practically anticipating their wedding from the moment they met'," he made air quotes as he spoke.

"I-I don't see the connection," I was lying but I wanted to hear his explanation.

"I know you're not that dense, Anne, but I guess I'll connect the dots for you. This book is basically the narrative of the last few weeks of our lives. The main female character, you, is oblivious to the clear feelings of her love interest, me," he jabbed a finger towards his chest.

"You also explained how the first book was a wonderful, tragical romance, but it was an excruciating read, even for you," he grinned, "The past few months where we were stuck in that weird limbo of our relationship, it felt exactly like that. An excruciating tragical romance," he stated matter-of-factly.

I pondered over his words for a few minutes, "It was quite exasperating," I paused, "Why couldn't I have been more lenient with our friendship. As I look back on it now, it seems like I gave you the most hell even though my other friends were treated kindly. Why did I single you out?" I scolded myself.

Gilbert grabbed my hand and began playing with my fingers, "I think you reacted that way because you didn't know what to do with your feelings, but at least we're alright now. I'm glad for all the struggles," he admitted, "In a way, they helped us grow a stronger bond."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Of course I'm right," he smirked.

"Don't start," I glared at him, "I'm still superior in intelligence."