Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Things were shifting in my life, I was changing, turning into someone I didn't know and it scared me."

After supper I went over to Romeo's house to study for our Chemistry test for tomorrow morning, I was aiming for a C- or if I'm lucky, a C+, whichever one I was completely fine with.

He leaned against his wall, his legs stretched out in front of him while he looked over his notes, his eyebrows knitted forward, "You'll do good tomorrow, I think your ready." He states, causing me to snicker out while shaking my head at him.

"Now, since we're finished studying, I want to test your knowledge." He drawls out, passing me a case of cherries. I grabbed it eagerly and popped the lid, popping a few in my mouth while glancing back over at him.

I groaned out when he chuckled, "It wont be terrible, just three questions in total, now lets go." He says, sliding off his bed, grabbing his bag from his bedroom floor. Frowning I follow him out of his room and downstairs, heading through the kitchen towards the back door.

He slides it open and closes it behind us before setting his bag down on the deck, he reaches in and grabs a box of matches, grinning at me, "How does a match light?" He questioned, lighting one up.

I rolled my eyes at him, "The head of the match is made using phosphorus, which is a highly combustible element - that catches fire due to the friction caused when striking a match." I explained, watching as a smile lifted on his lips.

He nodded his head, blowing out the match, he grabs a few glow sticks from his bag, passing me one before locking eyes with me, "How do glow sticks glow?" He questions, breaking his. I snap mine, it started glowing purple.

I looked over at him, his glow stick green, "The glow is the result of two chemicals reacting together and giving off light energy in a process called chemiluminescence. When you snap it, the glass via breaks and the two chemicals mix and react."

He started clapping and I took a small bow, smiling slightly, he laughs lightly, "This one should be fun," He says and he grabs a bottle of coke, walking down the steps towards the grass.

"How does the Mentos and Coke explosion work?" He drawled out, taking the lid off the bottle of coke he walks towards me and passes me some Mentos.

I chewed my bottom lip, closing my eyes while trying to remember, I know the teacher had brought it up at the beginning of the year when we did the experiment. But I was never one to really listen in class.

I sighed out, shrugging my shoulders, "The bubbles in the coke only form at points called nucleation sites, these are sharp edges or bits of dirt or grime that helps the release of carbon dioxide gas, and a Mentos isn't as smooth as it  appears." I answer while dropping the Mentos into the bottle quickly, putting the lid back on before stumbling backwards.

It explodes and I couldn't help but laugh out, looking over at Romeo who was already watching me while flashing me a boyish grin, causing my chest to tighten. It dies down and I caught his eyes, "How'd I do?" I questioned.

"Brilliant as always," He states, grabbing the bottle of coke, bringing it inside. He drops it off in the kitchen and I follow him back upstairs.

I lied out on his bed when he dropped down next to me, "Let me know how you do on your test, I'm already guessing you'll do pretty well." He says and I looked over at him.

There was so much hope in his eyes, like he genuinely thought I'd do well which was a change, I rolled my eyes, "I'm actually disappointed I cant smoke a blunt beforehand, it usually helps me concentrate." I joked out.