Friendship Goals

Chapter 2

~JOSH~

The next morning I get a call from Anna, my girlfriend, who I completely forgot about the past two days. She asks me if I wanna hang out today and while, at first, I'm tempted to decline, I feel kinda bad for throwing her to the curb like that, so I ask her if she wants to hang with me and Zack today, whom she hasn't exactly met yet. Initially, I can tell she's a bit reluctant since she was obviously hoping it'd just be the two of us, but she goes along with it anyway just to get the opportunity to hang out with me, probably. When I hang up the phone I look at Zack. "Hey, you cool if my girlfriend, Anna, hangs with us today?"

"You didn't tell me you had a girlfriend," he says with a lopsided smile.

"Guess not," I say shrugging.

"That's good for you, man. It's about time!" he snickers, and for some reason, I'm a bit underwhelmed by his reaction. I thought he'd be a bit more... I don't know, really.

"Shut up, man," I say. "But yeah, you didn't answer my question."

"Is that even a question? I mean, you seriously want me as a third wheel on your date?"

"It's not a date. We're just hanging out..."

"But she's your girl, bro. Don't you like, wanna be alone with her?"

"I had the whole year 'alone' with her. I wanna spend the day with you."

He chuckles, "So, you'd rather hang with me than with your girl? Seriously? Is she ugly or something?"

I roll my eyes. "No, but I haven't seen you in a year, dummy..."

"Aw, you missed me?"

I smirk as my cheeks start to blush and I say, "Shut up, you know I did."

"Damn bro, you're so gay," he laughs and for some reason, I don't find that joke to be particularly funny. In fact, I don't really like being called that, even as a joke. For whatever reason, it really gets under my skin. But I never told him that before so I can't really be all that mad at him.

Anna arrives at my house at around three in the afternoon and as soon as I open the front door she immediately embraces me. "Damn, Josh, just because we graduated doesn't mean we stop seeing each other."

"Of course not," I say, slightly trying to pull out of the hug.

Then Zack appears behind me.

"So, this is the famous Zack? I've heard a lot about you," she says, extending her hand for him to shake. "I'm Anna, Josh's girlfriend."

"So I see," he smirks as he takes a glance at me.

"Yeah, he's mentioned you quite a bit," Anna goes on, slightly revealing more than I would have wanted her to. "So, how long have you two known each other?"

"First grade," I answer.

"Yeah, it was like, on the bus, right?" Zack says.

"From what I can remember."

"I think I talked to you first... oh yeah, I asked you if you wanted any gum from the pack I found on the ground and you said yes, but I didn't tell you I found it on the ground!" Zack seems to recall a memory that I've completely forgotten about. Damn, I'm surprised!

"Aw, that's cute," Anna says, smiling at me.

"So, what about you? How do you know Josh?"

"Homecoming game. We just started talking and ya know..." she explains and Zack looks at me with a suggestive smile, even though he knows she didn't mean anything by the "ya know."