Strange Intimacy

Chapter 12

~JOSH~

To avoid fogging up the room we smoke in the bathroom. The two of us sit with our legs hanging out as we get high in the dried-up bathtub like a pair of stoners. It's times like this that I wanna remember for the rest of my life. Damn, I still can't believe it's our last fucking day in LA. It's been fun these past three days and I dread the idea of them ending already. That's probably why we're in no hurry to go to sleep, considering it's almost 2 AM, because sleeping will only bring us closer to tomorrow, the day that we, unfortunately, have to return home.

"So... what did you mean... when you said you 'just can't keep pretending'?" Zack suddenly breaks the silence between the two of us, asking the question that I've been dreading to answer. Um, dude, there's a reason I didn't answer it in the first place.

"It's not important, dude, just drop it."

"Obviously you meant something by it. Just spit it out, I won't judge."

Fine, I guess he's twisted my arm. "The truth is... I don't really have feelings for her..."

"Then why are you dating her?"

"Cuz I thought I did at first... but I started to realize that I wasn't when..." When Zack came back, but should I really tell him that?

"When what?"

"When you came back," I answer uncomfortably, worried that he might take that the wrong way.

"Wait, what?"

"I realized I was just kinda using her as someone to talk to... ya know to fill the void while you were gone." Damn, now I probably sound like such a shitty person.

"Wow, that's fucked up. Why the hell did you fuck her then?"

I just shrug. "She was there... and besides, you told me to."

"Yeah, cuz I was trying to help you keep your relationship from falling apart but now I know you were just fakin' your way through it."

"Yeah, I don't know why. I wanted to like her... but I just couldn't. She's always nagging me. I never feel happy when I'm around her."

"I'm sorry, man."

I then look at him in the face and damn, do I love looking at his face. He's so fucking hot, I could stare at him all night long. Shit, why do I suddenly feel butterflies in the pit of my stomach? "Sometimes... I feel like I'd rather date you than her," I say, not even realizing how gay that might sound to him.

"What?" He wrinkles his forehead in confusion.

"Ya know if I were... into you... but I'm not... like that." My face is red and I'm probably just making things sound even worse.

"Um..."

Fuck, now I want to cringe. I shut my eyes tightly in humiliation, mentally cringing and I try to find a way to get Zack to forget what I just said. "That came out completely wrong. Um, can we just forget that I said all that shit?"

He gives me a slight chuckle and says, "You say the gayest shit sometimes it's not even funny."

"Whatever. Can we just get outta here and go to bed?" I say, getting up from the tub and accidentally turning on the water, and from where the showerhead is facing, Zack gets hit by the wave of cold water while I somehow avoid it completely.

"What the fuck?!" He exclaims, getting up from his spot and moving out of the way to avoid more of the cold water raining down on him.

"Fuck! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that!"

"Well, I'm not... cuz I meant to do this!" He says, grabbing the showerhead from its place and using it as a hose to splash me as well.

"Aw fucking shit! That's cold, you son of a bitch!"

Water then gets everywhere as we take turns splashing each other, making a complete mess of the bathroom. Goddamn it, we're supposed to be 18 and here we are acting like a pair of 8-year-olds, taking turns spraying each other. We're so fucking immature, it's embarrassing. But it's not like anyone's around to see us anyway.

Nevertheless, after that's all over, we're of course drenched, and seeing as the bathroom's all wet thanks to our foolishness, we kinda have to change in the same room, which is actually really weird, given that we've never actually seen each other naked before. But then again, guys do shower together in locker rooms all the time so there's obviously nothing gay about simply changing in front of each other, right?

"I can turn ar—" Unfortunately he doesn't let me finish my sentence and I'm literally given no heads-up to when he drops his pants, exposing his bare butt to me. While normally I would impulsively turn away, I can't help but look because I'm really curious to see his body and how different it may be from mine. I stare at his butt for a second or two until he finally pulls on some dry pants, not allowing me the opportunity to sneak a peek at his junk at all—which I guess is a good thing. I mean, I'm a guy, I shouldn't care about or even want to see another guy's dick. Man, I blame the beer and the weed. I'm clearly not thinking straight tonight—pun intended.

I then realize that it's my turn to strip so I turn around and face the opposite direction so that he doesn't see my junk either.

"Nice ass," he says after I've dropped my pants, slightly alarming me and turning my face as red as an apple.

"Why you lookin' at my ass, fag?" I say defensively, even though I stared at his ass too.

"The same reason you were checkin' out mine," he says cleverly as if he were to have eyes in the back of his head.

"I only glanced at it. It's not like you gave me the heads-up that you were about to start stripping," I reply awkwardly, my face embroidered with humiliation.

"You were staring," he corrects, still amazing me over how he could know this when he had his back turned to me the whole time.

"I wasn't," I protest to no avail.

"Right," he says, grabbing one of the sheets and a pillow from the bed. He then tosses them down on the floor to make himself a little bed. "Goodnight."

"You can sleep on the bed, ya know."

"And you're gonna take the floor?"

"Well, the bed is... big enough," I say hypocritically as I was just telling Anna and Erica how guy friends don't share beds like girl-friends do, and yet here I am inviting Zack into my bed. But nonetheless, I still feel bad about making him sleep on the cold, hard floor when the king-size bed is big enough for the two of us.

"First you stare at my butt and now you wanna sleep together?" Zack says, seemingly get suspicious about me.

I roll my eyes and start to get frustrated. "Fine, your loss. Have a great night on that hard-ass floor." I then get into the bed and turn my back away from him.

About a couple of seconds later, I hear him rise from the floor and slowly get into the bed on the opposite side of me. "No one has to know," he says insecurely as he rolls over on his side to face the direction opposite from me.

"No one," I say back, in agreement.

"Good night."

"Good night."