Truth

Chapter 22

~ZACK~

I spend my 19th birthday hanging out with Dakota since he's actually my only friend at the moment. But the unfortunate thing is, he doesn't even begin to compare to Josh. I mean, he is my friend, but he's so different from Josh I can't even freaking enjoy myself on my so-called special day. It's like every time I look at him I wish he was Josh because that's who I wish I was hanging out with today. I probably would be had I not fucked everything up.

I suppose, in an effort to try and replace Josh, I suggest that Dakota and I head to the mall and play video games at the arcade, kinda like I used to do with a certain someone. But even that's kinda impossible to do because Dakota kinda sucks at most multiplayer games. Like, I try to play my favorite zombie shooter—the one inside the creepy, dark booth—with him, but it's just not fun with someone who doesn't really know what they're doing. Not to mention, he kinda acts like he's being forced to play. It's at this point in time that I realize how little Dakota and I have in common. I like zombie shooters, he likes car-racing games. I like baseball, he likes soccer. I like red meat, he's a fucking vegetarian for christ's sake! Honestly, I don't even know how we became friends in the first place.

"Havin' fun yet?" Dakota asks me as we take a seat in the mall food court. Me with a burger obviously and him with a bowl of lettuce and shit. In all honesty, I think the answer to that question would have to be a no.

"Y-Yeah," I lie with a slight stutter, not wanting to hurt his feelings.

"You don't sound too confidant about that." He sees right through my falseness. Shit! "It's okay... I know I can't replace Josh—"

"What?! No, he has nothing to do with anything!" Obviously, he does, but I can't let Dakota know that I'm still hung up on Josh.

"Well, there's gotta be some reason you're not having fun. It's your birthday, man!"

"Who says I'm not having fun?" I say awkwardly, taking a sip from my drink.

"I'm not stupid, bro. I can very well see that you'd rather be here with someone else."

"Not true," I deny to no avail. "I just thought we'd have more in common, that's all."

"You can't replace Josh, man." What the hell?! Can this guy suddenly read my mind?

"Who says that's what I'm trying to do?!" I exclaim, jumping up from the table and drawing attention to myself from the people around us.

"No need to get all defensive, dude."

"Well then stop making this all about Josh. He's dead to me." Actually, I'm probably dead to him.

"Okay, sorry I brought it up."

"Ya know what, I'm gonna go for a walk," I say anxiously, excusing myself from the food court to avoid any more unwanted attention.

Dakota however follows me. "Dude, would you please just tell me what the hell happened between you guys? You two have been friends for such a long time I find it hard to believe that he's really dead to you."

I just keep walking, wanting nothing more than to avoid having this conversation, especially with another guy.

"Zack!" He shouts as we approach one of the mall's main exits.

I turn around, getting annoyed at his persistent advances to uncover my biggest mistake and worst memory, which still pains me every time I think about it. "I just can't say," I at last respond to him, hopefully sending him the message that I don't want to fucking tell him.