Chapter 9

The stew warmed my belly, unfreezing my toes and heating my organs.
"I'm not fond of venison, but as a stew, it's not bad," admitted Dawn.
Before I could speak to her, Gandalf beckoned me.
"Frodo, come over here and talk to an old Man."
I finished my stew and scooted towards him, legs crossed.
"How has the Shire been since you've returned?"
"Good. It has been quiet for me, but good nonetheless."
"And Dawn?"
I blankly stared at him, gnawing my bottom lip.
I struggled to find the right words when I decided to say, "She's alright."
We glimpsed at her.
She was chatting with Aragorn about Arwen and their unborn child and when she saw me, she kindly waved and I replied with the same gesture.
"You are very fond of her."
"Yes. More than fond really."
He winked and heartily chuckled, stuffing more Old Toby into his pipe.
"As you told me, you made love with her when I visited you."
Instinctively, my fingers touched my neck, acknowledging that I had the love-bites.
If I were to look in a mirror, I'd pray they were still there; I wanted Dawn to mark me as hers and hers only.
"I love her, Gandalf. What I can't do is tell her that when she's awake. She is always hungry for me; we share beds together."
"I have seen the way you look at each other. Both of you have love in your eyes. Wait for the perfect moment, my dear hobbit. I know she feels the same for you."
Gandalf always knew what to say. None of us would know what to do if he wasn't here.
A high scream penetrated the silence of the forest and we instantly drew our weapons.
"They're here," whispered Legolas, stretching out the string of his bow.
Dawn tied the hem of her dress up to her thighs and her lips were curled in a ferocious snarl.
"Come on, you piles of horse manure!" she barked.
"Try and fight us!"
I gasped when I looked at her hand that clutched the shining blade. Right as I was about to ask why her nails had gotten longer, Scavengers flew out of the forest and threw themselves at us. Arrows darted through the air and Gimli swung his ax at the first two enemies, their heads sliced clean off and their bodies falling on the ground.
We all fought and roared, the monsters screeching and scratching us; limbs were flying and blood splattered the ground and trees.
I ordered Dawn to run as I impaled one in the midriff and it coughed out a spray of red into my mouth.
I never wanted to taste the blood of these beings; it was metallic and warm.
I spat it out and managed to chop off the right leg of a taller one.
"Frodo!" Aragorn yelled, running to me as fast as he could, stabbing and dicing all of the creatures that tried to touch him.
"Where is Dawn? Where is she?" he panicked.
My name was shrilled out from somewhere unknown.
It was her.
My heart pumping and my temples pulsing, I searched for my beloved Dawn.
I found her in a clearing, far from the gruesome fight.
The dagger laid on the ground and she shook vehemently, her mouth hanging open and drool spilling out of the corners.
Her eyes were rolled up into her skull, the whites completely visible and I hurriedly dug through my satchel until I found one of the many vials.
Her legs wobbled, and she fell on her back, twitching.
I held her close, her body violent and she coughed wetly.
Twisting it open, I shoved the vial into her mouth.
"Drink this and you'll be alright, darling," I murmured to her, stroking her arm as she slowly drank the mysterious substance.
I was hoping she wouldn't drink all of it, but she managed to stop herself.
I smiled and kissed her passionately.
I wasn't going to lose her to the curse.

The pile of mangled Banshees burned bright, embers all around and the smell was unbearable. Legolas washed dried blood off his daggers and splashed clean water on his perfect face.
Merry and Pippin comforted each other as Gimli hauled other maggot-infested corpses to the fire. Aragorn tied a tourniquet about his arm and Gandalf applied a soothing oil on Dawn's feet.
I sat by a small pond, my reflection staring back at me from the water. Today was a massacre and I will never forget it.
Dawn seemed to be back to her normal self though her always-smiling face was now weary.
My mind was exhausted and the aftertaste of the Banshee blood was revolting.
I stared at my crimson-coated hands, wiggling my nine fingers. Grinning in agony, my sobs were long and horrible.
Curse them!
Curse these wicked Banshees and curse that wicked Jafilyn!
My sweet love didn't deserve this; none of us did.
I was soaked in blood, my body weak.
My eyes glanced at Sting.
I fingered the handle and gazed at the blade, setting it aside. I dipped my hands in the pure water and scrubbed the blood off my skin. Now I know what that liquid was for: Dawn was close to turning into one of those things.
I stood there, pleased by the birds chirping and insects buzzing.
At least there were many things in Arda that are worth living for.
I turned away from the pond and walked back to my companions.
"Ah, Frodo," Pippin said. "We were wondering where you went off to."
I shrugged and responded, "I needed some time to myself."
"Aragorn is keeping watch tonight. We all need some well-deserved sleep after what we've been through today."
I agreed with him.
I want to get out of this forsaken forest as fast as possible.
I laid down, waiting for Dawn to embrace me as my eyes grew heavy, the lids refusing to stay open.
Sleep took over and I gave in as I saw her hairless feet entering my vision.