Chapter 20

I didn't want to wake Dawn up, but alas, I had to and we sluggishly climbed.
Dirt was smudged over her skin, her nails tinted a deep purple, and her hair was frizzy.
With me, my nails were chipped; brown grime cemented beneath. Near the knee, my trousers were torn and my dirt-painted legs trembled with each step.
Without a warning, Dawn froze, panting.
"Do we have to go through here?"
Picking myself up from the remaining steps, I coughed and looked at the gaping tunnel.
Fear knifed through me from my head to my toes.
This was the tunnel Sméagol led me to.
I grabbed Dawn's wrist and grimaced.
It was the only way to make it back to Mordor and we couldn't turn back now.
"This is it, Dawn. Remember when I told you about that spider? This is her lair..."
Her gaze was away from me and she said, "Perhaps she is dead."
I prayed she was.
"It's terribly dark in there," she said, peering into the wet darkness of the tunnel.
"Do you have a light of sorts?"
I perked up and answered, "I actually do."
I pulled out the Light of Earendil from the satchel, the crystal vial Lady Galadriel gifted me on the first journey.
"Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!" I chanted, the liquified stars inside the crystal shimmering.
The beautiful water glittered and the hazy sapphire-blue light shined into the tunnel.
Dawn attached herself to my arm, whispering, "We stay together."
The moist air was repugnant; everywhere we looked and walked there were skeletons of Orcs and Banshees alike.
Small animals trapped in the sticky white web and I stepped in some feces, the rotten odor offending our nostrils.
Dawn had her eyes shut tight, shuddering and talking to me to stay calm.
"It's alright," I reassured her. "We're alright."
It was until we saw it. Mostly decomposed, the rotting carrion of that spider was being eaten by plump maggots and centipedes slithered through her.
Dawn crouched on her hands, green vomit erupting.
Tears were forced out of her bloodshot eyes and she retched until nothing came out.
I patted her back, hushing her.
"She's dead," I muttered to myself.
"Please, can we get out of here? I can't stand it," she wept, cleaning herself.
I nodded and helped her up, her chin and neck painted with crusted vomit.
That was when the loud hissing echoed through the tunnel.
"We need to go...now!" I tell her, my hand seizing her wrist. Drawing out Sting, I ushered Dawn to get out of here and planted my feet firmly, growling and bared my teeth.
What abominable terror will I face tonight in this cave? Will this be my tomb?
Pouncing out of the blackness, the beast roared, its breath hitting me; saliva splattering my face. Crouching on its hindlegs, the creature had to be some ratlike atrocity.
Its matted fur was the color of rust, clumps of feces and blood stuck to it. Tan horns sprouted from its head, sharp like sickles and the claws were daggers; they seemed to slice through the thickest of armor.
All four of its crimson eyes glowed with pure hunger as it lunged at me.
I drove Sting deep inside one of its eyes, red blood setting off in vivid jets.
Shielding its wound with its palm, it stumbled and hissed, waving its arm awkwardly, allowing me to sever it.
It howled, collapsing to its bony knees, and blindly swung its other limb.
I thrust the blade into its neck and it yelped, the wounds gaping. It twitched and finally ceased its movements.
I panted heavily and sprinted out of the tunnel, free from the horror I killed.
I tottered about, searching for my Dawn.
I called out to her and she never replied.
I found her lying near the stairs leading to the ruins of the Tower of Cirith Ungol.
Spread out, her voluptuous breasts nearly spilled out of her blouse and her tattered skirt revealed her undergarments.
"Oh, Dawn!"
Kneeling beside her, I pressed my ear against her chest, sobbing when I heard her heart beating. "Oh, Dawn, my darling," I bawled, kissing her.
"You're still alive."
Putting Sting into its scabbard, I held her and the darkness shrouded my vision.