Chapter 24

I didn't want to wake up the following morning.
In fact, I wished I was dead as I laid in that cell, seeing someone with a wooden tray; on it was bread, an apple, and some water and they pulled the bars open. Setting the tray aside, the red-haired Banshee dipped two fingers in a light purple substance, its scent being lavender.
Gingerly, she applied a soothing ointment on my wounds.
"Why?" I questioned. "You all tormented my body yet you are healing me? And must you all hurt me so?"
"Jafilyn preferred Theweo to be broken before she used him. It seems her daughter is nicer though. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor lad each time she was done with him. Poor Halfling barely stood up at all; it was a miracle he was able to walk when she ordered him to take Dawn away from her."
Valar save me...Jafilyn was worse? I shuddered at the thought and she added, "Speaking of which, she wants to have you with her for breakfast. She wants no pleasure from you."
She finished curing me and handed me a stack of clothes; a beige tunic, brown trousers, and fresh undergarments.
"A bath is ready for you."

Dawn adjusted her crown and sucked on her teeth.
This time her gown was of a rich cerulean satin with slashed sleeves showing a gray under-blouse.
The bodice was snug on her waist and flared out at her hips; a long pearl-and-sapphire necklace glimmered prominently on her creamy skin.
Two Banshees served us morning tea, but I kept my head low and contemplated my cup.
"What is wrong with your tea, dearest? You are allowed to drink it."
I bit my lip and grabbed the cup, drinking deeply.
All I had since we have been here is muddy water and I desperately craved a full meal.
My stomach growled right as more servants presented us with platters of crispy bacon, yellow eggs, and fat sausages; cooked tomatoes and thick buttered toast.
I drooled and with no hesitation, I scarfed my food down without so much as chewing.
The taste of the hot meal was immaculate; I was insatiable though I eventually stopped, coughing and choking.
"Don't eat so quickly," she said, cutting up a juicy sausage.
I noted that we had switched personalities during our meal; before turning, she was the one to swallow her food without tasting it and I would be eating some meat piece by piece.
"Since last night, I have thought about nothing but what you said to me," she added.
I froze and dropped the knife on my plate.
Her chin sitting on her palm, she cleared her throat and for another second, those piercing red-and-black pools became bronze again then went back to their foul colors.
"I must say that was quite beautiful," she complimented. "Will you say something similar after tonight?"
I had to go through that again. After that one Banshee healed me, I had to be strapped down to that table, naked, and have them whip me again. But I was going to end this madness even if it does kill me in the process.
I will release Dawn from her powers and the Banshees will be no more.

My heart pounded rapidly as Rydja and Haslo pinned me on the splintery table, the bonds secure around my limbs.
The same Banshee who treated me this morning was there; she kissed my forehead and smeared blood on it, her touch unnervingly benign and her serrated nails lightly scraping my skin.
"Forgive us," she spoke in a hushed voice, her tone oddly sincere; fear swelled in me as the hooded figure lashed the whip at my body and the blood dotted on the purple-black bruises.
My temples throbbing, pain ravished me while the Banshee murmured words of comfort to me.
Everyone else but this maiden mistreated me.
Each of them abused my soul and body, called me names, and one of them was dead all because she wanted to eat me.
Who was this Banshee that consoled me?
Did she feel genuine sorrow for letting them beat me or was she wearing a mask?
Whatever her motive was, I accepted her bizarre comfort, nuzzling my face in the palms of her hands.
Help me save Dawn...please...