Chapter 10

It was a miracle that I fell asleep. All night I was tormented by nightmares of those Banshees and their grotesque nails sinking into my skin, the fangs biting, and their tongues licking me.
We began to move again, the sky a pale peach striped with maroon and scarlet, the hazy clouds smothered across the celestial scene and we finally escaped the forest.
Dawn was too frail after her incident and had Aragorn cradling her in his arms.
I walked beside him, my eyes glued on her.
Even while she sleeps, she looks like a goddess; almost like Lady Galadriel of Lothlórien.
"How much further? I'm starving," Pippin complained.
We all shot him a serious look when my stomach growled.
I couldn't help but admit that I was craving for something to satiate my hunger.
I rubbed my belly and said, "Well, Pippin, we're all hungry, but we have to keep going. I promise we'll stop soon."
He groaned in annoyance, "Can't I at least smoke some Longbottom?"
Aragorn clicked his tongue and spun around to glare at Pippin.
He immediately shut his mouth and said nothing else.
"Pip, you told me you were going to quit," Merry said.
"I'm trying to, but I have a horrible hankering for it."
I only heard their conversation, but I knew Merry rolled his eyes.
I opened my satchel and bored through it.
I found a shining red apple and tossed it over to Pippin.
"Will that satisfy your stomach until then?" I joked.
"Yes, actually!"
It was one of the few times we laughed together since the adventure began.
I supposed Dawn was awake because I heard her quiet giggles.
Aragorn looked down at her, grinning.
"How are you feeling?" he asked.
"Still a bit weak, but I'd like to try and walk," she said.
"You can take my walking stick, love," I stated, handing Aragorn my staff.
Gently, he set Dawn on her feet as she took the stick and attempted to take a few steps.
Her legs shook a bit though she assured everyone that she'll get her strength back.
"I'll lean on Frodo for support," she added, seizing my shoulder. Despite the growing bags under her eyes, she kept that glimmering personality of hers which caused my heart to increase in size.

"We should be nearing Treegarth soon," Gandalf announced during dinner.
Merry and Pippin were unpacking their belongings as I poked at the crackling fire.
"But isn't it flooded?" I asked. "And we don't have any horses."
"Not anymore and Treebeard will help you," Pippin stated.
He and Merry have told me about the Ents; I always wanted to see these talking tree-people, but never got to.
"He took over after Saruman died. He helped us; he'll help you and Dawn!"
It looks like I didn't have to worry about getting wet after all.
I thanked him, and I bit into some cheese.
Dawn brushed her dark coils and sat beside me, leaning her head against me.
"I'm sorry that I scared you," she murmured, her face lit up by the orange fire and her cheeks rosy.
Resting my chin on her head, I held her, mesmerized by her scent. I wasn't going to lie to her; she did frightened me.
"You didn't mean to, love."
"What was that anyway? That drink you gave me?"
"Elrond gave it to me. He never said exactly what it is, but it's certainly helpful. It stopped you from turning."
"What happens when we run out of it?"
I chortled and opened my satchel, letting Dawn look at the several vials.
"We won't run out of it."
Her face brightened and kissed me, thanking Eru that we had more.
"Get some rest you two," commanded Gandalf.
"Especially you, Miss Starkin. We won't be able to carry you all the time."
We slipped under our blanket, our bodies hot as we drifted off to sleep.