Chapter Fifteen

Brooke's POV

"No ones coming to get us, are they?" It was much less of a question than a statement.

The past two hours had been nothing but laughs but then the reality hit. We were in the middle of the worst blizzard of the season. Tomorrow was the last day before winter break, so no one will be coming to look since it's most likely a snow day.

"Don't think like that." Brady scooted closer to me, "Look at me Brooke."

My eyes on the floor trying to ignore the way my heart seemed to react whenever he got near. "But..." my voice got caught.

"What if we are stuck here for a few days?" Brady put a finger under my chin and lifted my head until I was forced to look into his eyes, "We will be okay. There's water, food, crappy showers, and bathrooms. We can survive... together."

•••

"Where's Brady?" My mom was looking into my messy room cringing, "He's usually here to pick you up."

"He's not coming," my voice was almost a whisper, "He's never coming."

"Honey?" My mother's face had turned into one of concern, "What do you mean?"

I knew I was crying. I could feel each tear slide down my face like acid. I opened my eyes and looked in my vanity mirror.

I looked terrible.

My hair was tied back revealing dark circles under my eyes. My eyes, meanwhile, appeared empty and extremely red from lack of sleep combined with tears.

"What happened?" my mom threw her arms around me, "Skip school. We a day."

I shook my head. I wanted to be strong but my shaking hands told a different story.

"I can't see him," I finally managed to say between silent sobs, "He's gone. He's actually gone."

I don't know how long I sat there that day with my mom . But next thing I knew when I looked into the mirrors my eyes were dry. Day by day. Hour by hour. Minute by minute. Each a new moment without him. A new moment where I slowly tapped the broken parts of me together.

Never the same, but the puzzle was solved and locked away. One cannot break what they cannot access.

Finally after months, my vanity mirror showed me. The new me.

Brooke without Brady.

•••

I didn't want to move and ruin the moment. Despite the temperatures being in the negatives outside, I felt warm and safe.

Brady had started falling asleep on my shoulder so I had dragged him to my newspaper classroom. There were pillows and a small couch with blankets. When I had nudged the almost asleep Brady towards the couch he had grabbed my waist and fell with me in his arms.

His eyelids had immediately shut and I heard the soft snores I hadn't realized I missed. His eyelids fluttered occasionally and I couldn't help but stroke his hair.

It felt like no time had passed since the last time we had slept like this. It felt so natural to be back in Brady's arms I knew I never wanted to leave them again.

"Why do you have so much control over my heart?" I whispered, my face in the pressed against his chest, "Why did I fall in love with someone who'd never love me back?"

I touched his face lightly and froze when he slightly moved. Luckily all he did was tighten his grip and pull me closer so there was so space between us.

"I love you," my voice was almost inaudible but it was most true thing I'd ever said. I felt a wave of relief flow through my body as if admitting to brady, even sleeping Brady, felt like the biggest step.

I knew I was falling asleep so I moved to a more comfortable position. My ear was directly on his heart, and his steady heart beat pulled me into the darkness.

•••

"Brooke!" I froze at the sound of Mikey's voice. I squeezed my eyes shut hoping he would give up. I hadn't seen Brady's brother since it happened.

"Brooke! Stop and please look at me," I forced myself to come to a stop.

"What is it Mikey?" My voice was shaking and I knew my eyes would begin to water any moment.

"I'm sorry," suddenly his voice was soft,  "I don't know what happened but until you guys are okay, I will miss you"

"I'm sorry," my heart broke as I saw Brady younger brother standing before me with tears streaming down his cheeks, "we won't ever be okay. Good luck Mikey, with everything."

Then I spun on my heels and ran, not wanting one of the Smith brothers to see me crying.

•••

I woke up briefly and looked up at Brady's face. His eyelids fluttered open and he drew my closer to whisper, "go back to sleep." And the warmth and darkness consumed me.

////

yeah I suck, I know.

THIS TOOK WAY TOO LONG BUT IM TRYING MY BEST OKAY!!!

Anyway, thanks for all the support! It means the world to me! Let ur friends know about this story (if u want) because I am so close to 22k reads (which is insane?!?!?!)

Anyway.. have a great day!!!
Xoxo,
Izz