Chapter Thirty-Two

Brady's POV

"Now what?" Brooke was the first to speak. In all honesty I didn't realize she was awake.

"We cuddle," I quickly said dragging her closer to me, "And wait until we get found."

"Okay," Brooke's voice was hoarse. From what just happened, the crying, or the sleepiness... I wasn't sure.

Before I could reply, Brooke arched forward and placed the softest kiss against my lips. I swear in that moment I was happier than I would ever be.

•••

My grandma was the first to notice her absence from Thanksgiving.

"Where is Brooke?"

It took a total of thirty seconds into dinner before my grandma no longer could control herself and asked the question that had been brewing since the moment she walked in. My grandma loved Brooke like her own grandchild and always treated as one too.

"She won't be coming this year." It was all I could manage to get out. The wounds still too fresh.

"Oh."

This was unusually short for my grandma. Her eyes had burned into me searching for answers to questions I couldn't imagine. She finally looked at my hands, scrunched up on the table, and sighed.

"Fine, I won't ask." My grandma continued, "But whatever you did. Apologize."

"It's," I scratched my head avoiding her darkening glare, "It's complicated."

"No it's not," my grandmas voice was slightly lower now, "You look at her and say I'm sorry. Easy."

"I wish it was," I stood up and walked away from the table before I lost my cool.

"Grandma is right you know," my brother was sitting on the stairs looking at the door.

"Just drop it," I found myself kicking him as I walked by.

•••

"My grandma misses you," I didn't even realize I had spoken until the words came out of my mouth.

"She does?" Brooke looked up at me shocked. I couldn't help but notice her cheeks turn slightly pink.

"Every year she's asked me if I've apologized yet," I confessed, "When I say no, she tells me that's another birthday present gone since I don't appreciate gifts."

Brooke was quite and then snorted. I found myself laughing along side her.

"I went and saw her. Right before her surgery." Brookes voice was quiet now.

"Wait what?" I just stared waiting for more information.

"Your mom sent me an email with the information," Brookes voice was quieter now, "So the night before her heart surgery I went to see her. I was scared she would die and I would never have had the chance to tell her how amazing she was. And how grateful I was to her."

"You went and saw her?" My voice croaked as I asked the question. I knew I sounded dumb but her words seemed unreal.

•••

"Grandma," I took her hand in mine as I sat next to her hospital bed, "Please don't leave me okay?"

I was scared shitless. In 24 hours my grandma was facing open heart surgery. In 24 hours I could lose her and that terrified me.

"Brady," my grandma looked over at me and squeezed my hand, "I have zero intentions of dying. I plan on see my grand-baby's graduation, wedding, kids..."

"Promise you'll fight really hard for me?" I basically begged her.

"Only if you promise to fight really hard for your own happiness," even facing surgery my grandma still managed to care for  others.

"Sure," I smiled tightly and kissed her cheek. As I made my way out of the room I looked over at her bedside table, "Who got you flowers?"

"I have a secret admirer," my grandma winked and shooed me out.

•••

"You brought those flowers?" I asked her softly.

"Yes," Brooke touched my cheek with her hand softly, "Tulips."

"Her favorite," My voice was uneven again. If I hadn't already loved Brooke, I would've fallen right there. And maybe I did fall even further.

"Can we see her?" Brooke's smile seemed to light up the dark room.

"Yes," I meant it but all I could focus on was the we Brooke had said.

It was finally correct. We were together again.

///

Surprise, a new chapter.

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

I miss writing and everyone but I took a step back from Wattpad and every other social platform in order to focus on myself and relationship. Thank you for your patience and support for this story despite it taking literal years to write.

Xoxo,
Izz