Chapter Twenty-Six

Brady's POV

Before I met Brooke, I had been alone. And then I lost her and once more I was alone. But now, looking down on her head rested on my chest I was finally where I was meant to be for the rest of my life.

•••

"So honey, learn anything new today?" I could see my moms face in the review mirror. Even when I was in 5th grade I could tell she was both concerned and frustrated with me.

"No," I shook my head, "I never do."

"Brady," my moms voice had dropped. My young ten year old heart sunk.

"Yes mommy?" I knew it was manipulative but the 'mommy' card sometimes worked.

"Please tell me why you and Dylan were sent to the principals office today?" Any hope I was clinging to disappeared.

"We got into a fight," My mom took a deep breath before replying.

"I know that," She said, "But why did it happen?"

"He called someone a mean name," I didn't really want to answer her.

"He called you a mean name?" My mom was obviously trying to find a reason for my random violence.

"No," I looked down at my lap.

"Who did he call a mean name?" My mom wasn't going to let this go. And we still had 15 minutes left on the car ride.

"He called Alex a retard," I didn't like the word, as I knew even then it was offensive, "So I told him to shut up and he pushed me and I pushed back and I pushed too hard so he fell and scraped his arms..." I trailed off.

"Why didn't you tell your teacher that?" My mom finally asked.

"Cause I promised Dylan to take the blame if he no longer called people a retard."

"Oh honey," my mom sighed. I knew I was in big trouble, "Do you want to go get some ice cream?"

What...

•••

"Brady," my mom looked at me her eye blazing. Her car's lights shined on my motorcycle and most likely a very terrified face.

"Yes?" My heart was pounding, my dateline screaming for me to take off again.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" My mom now stepped directly in the path of my calculated escape.

"Riding. Like always." But of course it wasn't just always today.

"No," My mom took another step forward, "You're driving and acting like an idiot."

"Okay," I didn't even want to respond.

"So... You wanna tell me why?"

I wanted to be honest, but I didn't have the heart to tell my mom what I did at school. How I hurt her, how I finally gave into Sophie.

"I made a mistake," I finally settled on the simplistic answer.

"Then fix it."

It wasn't that easy I remember thinking.

•••

"Brady!" My mom yelled out the front door, "Drive safely! I heard there was a storm coming in, so get home quickly."

"Sure," I threw my backpack in the car and rolled my eyes waiting for the idiot brother who managed to be late for everything.

"Even though you'd probably forget to come anyway," I refused to look at Michael who was gloating at my lack of phone, "I don't need a ride home."

"Okay, that's good. I'm gonna stay late and make up this stupid essay," I cringed thinking about the hours I was going to spend in the library in an desperate attempt to save my grade.

"Fun!" Michaels sarcasm just made me angry so I just ignored him.

"Can't wait."

///

45.4k?!!!??! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

Also 3 chapters in less than a week, this is some kinda record!

Enjoy today's short chapter.

Xoxo,
Izz