Chapter Twenty-Seven

Brooke's POV

Someone once asked what my biggest fear was. I had always answered dolls or elevators.

But now I knew that wasn't true. Those we superficial fears.

The thing that haunted me. The thing that chilled my bones. My soul. My heart. That thing was much different.

It was the fear of being alone.

I first felt it when my dad left.

Then I felt it when Brady was suddenly gone.

For the first time since I watched Brady's back retreat, I felt warm. My body not filled with the ache of being alone.

•••

"What are you doing?" My coach looked at me his eye lids thinning as he gave me a once over, "You pull that shit in a game and I promise you won't see the field for the rest of the season."

"Yes coach," I winced and turned away. Usually I would be annoyed that my coach was always so much harsher to me than anyone else, but this time I deserved to be publicly chastised.

"What an ass," my teammate whispered when we set up the practice corner again, "You're the best one out here and he threatens you with no play time."

"I messed up," I whispered back keeping my eyes on the ball ready to protect my goal.

"You almost... ALMOST.... let a goal get by you," Lacey rolled her eyes, "We have a goalie who never touches the ball because of your defending, I'm sure she wouldn't have minded."

"I guess-" I broke off from the conversation and ran towards the ball soaring in the air. Not a second too soon I jumped into the air and knocked the ball out of the possible scoring areas.

"That looks better Rine," my coach called, "See what happens when you get your head out of your ass?"

•••

"Brooke?"

"Yes?" I looked up at my therapist suppressing a yawn.

"Your mom mentioned that you have seemed..." Dr. Raim paused searching for the right words, "Lost lately.... Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really," I looked away, knowing my doctor was probably tired of having to spend an hour coaxing for literally no gain.

"Are you sure?" I barely stopped myself from rolling my eyes, "Your mom is worried about you."

"Don't guilt trip me," I finally said despite feeling bad for hurting my mom.

"I'm not," Dr. Raim smiles at me sadly, "Do you feel guilty?"

"I'm leaving," I finally stood up and grabbed my keys.

"Brooke," Dr. Raim called out, "Don't let him break you again."

But by that time I had already left her small office.

•••

I don't know why I thought of these memories now. As I was being held in Brady's arms. As I felt safe again. As my heart was light.

But I did.

And I wasn't pained. The memories didn't have the same sting as before.

As Brady kisses my forehead while we sat in the dark, I felt happy.

•••

"He won't break me," I was screaming at the mirror. Mental images of my dad and Brady flashed in and out of focus besides me.

"Stop." I felt my arms being lifted off my head where I had unknowingly wrapped them.

"Mommy," I felt my tears dripping, "I think I need to start my medicine again. I'm done feeling sad."

"Okay sweetie," My mom's hug was the only thing holding me together.

•••

But now I was happy.

I didn't need Brady.

But I wanted him. And he was here.

I wasn't dependent.

But I was complete.

///

omg almost 50k reads what the actually f*%+ how is that even possible.

27 chapters later and people are still reading. It blows my mind. And I am so beyond thankful for you all.

I know I suck at updating, but life gets hard sometimes. But I'm here and I'm so happy to get this chapter out!

Xoxo,
Izz