19 // gone

[Jungkook's POV- 9 years ago]

Hyemi's desk remained empty, even after the morning bell had rung.
I tilted my head slightly at the empty hair next to me, squinting slightly and fading into my own thoughts.

"Mr. Jeon?"

I snapped my head to the front to see my teacher writing the date on the board.

"Yes, sir?" I cleared my throat quietly, trying to collect myself from my head.

"Do you know where Hyemi could be?" He dropped the chalk on the ledge and turned around, meeting my eyes.

I glanced at the seat next to mine. "No sir. I'm sorry."

He smiled slightly. "Don't worry about it then."

I smiled slightly in return, but my mouth wasn't genuinely smiling. The last thing I wanted to do was smile.
When the teacher continued teaching the class, starting the days lesson, my smile faded off my face and I found my notes blank. I didn't reach for my pencil, nor my book which were neatly aligned at the top right corner of my desk. I stared at the cover of my novel and examined small hints of age and wear and tear on the print.
I tuned out the sound of kids answering questions, the sound of pencils scraping against the paper, and the sound of the chalk running across the blackboard. I left my hands in my lap and remained hunched over the desk.
I had no motivation to work. I was too preoccupied worrying about the whereabouts of Kim Hyemi, and my mind couldn't dismiss her.

When the final bell rang, I threw my bag together and ran down the hall. I threw the doors open and ran through the wind, blowing over my head, as it flew my hair back and my eyes shut to avoid the wind blinding me.
I ran down several streets and read the signs. I followed my way back to where my house was, and then found 2 streets ahead, the third house in, and found where Hyemi should have been.

I walked up to the front step and stepped up slowly. The pain in my knees wavered up my legs and made me fall slightly off balance. I caught myself and steadied myself before standing fairly short in front of the black front door.

I tried to look in through the small side window, but it was blurred over and I wasn't able to see anything but the difference between light and shadow.

I reached my arm and pressed the doorbell, hearing the ring echo through the house.

I didn't hear much, but the subtle sound of footsteps shuffle to the front door and I stepped back slightly.

When the door opened, Hyemi stood on the other side. Her eyes were nearly swollen shut and red from crying.

"Hyemi-ah?" I asked, my eyes widening at the sight of hers. "What's wrong?"

She didn't speak but her mouth quivered slowly, taking a shaky breath before stepping over the door trim and falling into my arms.

I wrapped my arms around her and she buried her face in my chest. I rubbed my hand slowly and held her close as I heard her sob and I felt her tears soak through my uniform.

I leaned my head next to hers and squeezed my eyes shut as she gripped onto my waist for comfort.

"Hyemi-ah," I spoke quietly. "You need to tell me what's going on so I can help you."

She dug her face deeper and fell quiet.

"Hyemi."

She let go and backed up a little. I pushed her hair back from her face and tucked it behind her ear, pulling it from the places where the tears had stuck her hair to her face.

I wiped a tear from her cheek. "Come here."

I closed her door and I took her and and pulled her to the 2 chairs that sat on her porch.
I sat her down, pulling my sweater off and wrapping it around her shoulders as I felt the wind pull through the street.

I knelt down, sitting on the cold concrete as I felt my knees shoot pain up my legs.

"Hyemi-ah. Take a breath."

Hyemi took a shaky breath and shut her swollen eyes.

When she opened them again, I smiled slightly and held her hand in mine.

"Tell me what happened today."

She sighed and gripped my hand tightly.

She shut her eyes and her lips folded inward.

"She cant be gone."