24 // dream

Slowly, the blackness turned to nothing but white. White on the left, white infront. White was everywhere and I couldn't escape it.
I found myself standing straight up, my bright blue shoes create a vibrant contrast against the blank ground underneath my soles.
I raised my hands up and examined my palms. My hands seemed smaller, softer and colder than usual. I felt a shiver travel in reverse up my spine when I felt a wind hit the back of my neck, causing baby hairs to stand on edge.
Carefully, when the wind died down, I turned around to be met with the winter surroundings of my elementary school playground.
I watched closely as kids ran through the light snowfall, chasing one another with bright red nose tips and snow piled on their hats. I looked down at my own hands and found the ripped yarn of my old gloves that had been worn out.
My hands started to go numb, as the cold seeped through the ripped fabric and inched deeper into my hands, and even to my wrists.
I shoved my hands in my jacket pockets and continued watching people tumble through the deep snow.
I clenched my jaw to avoid myself shivering, unsure of how long I was going to stand here; better yet, what I was standing here for.
I watched as a particular girl ran through the snow, which almost made it as high at her knees, and she went flying forward when her leg refused to release from the snowbank.
I flinched in surprise and my eyes widened. My jaw relaxed, but only out of worry. I slowly peeled my frozen feet from the snow underneath me and struggled across the yard to reach her.
She sat up, snow down her jacket and in her mittens. She groaned in almost a pain and cleared snow from her eyes.

I knelt down and took her hat off, brushing the snow off it as she shot me a look of confusion.

I placed it back on her head and smiled. "Are you okay Kyena?"

Kyena nodded quietly and emptied her mittens of the snow.
I stretched my knees but I could feel them falling weak and it was getting harder by the minute to move.

"Hyemi."

I turned painfully and saw Jungkook, standing with his hands in his own pockets and his hat blowing slightly in the winter breeze.

"That's your name, yes?"

I let a breath out and watched the fog-like-air trail up into the sky and disappear. "Jungkook, right?"

He nodded with only half of his pride.

I tilted my head slightly and his brows furrowed at my action.

"What's that look for?" He clenched his jaw and I could see the curiosity he held.

I smiled slightly, looking down at the snow which was soaking my sneakers and laughed a bit.

"Oh my god, Hyemi, why are you wearing sneakers in knee height snow?" Jungkook was shocked and I looked back up at him to see his mouth wide open.

"It's not a big deal." I said. It was more than that; any longer in these and my feet would fall off.

"No. It's more than that."

Read my mind.

I smiled wider this time and met eyes with Jungkook, taking my hands out of my pockets and placing them on his shoulders. "It's really not."

He took his hands out of his pockets and placed his hands on mine, pulling them off of his shoulders and holding them right before letting them go.

"Let's go." He turned around.

"What? Where?" I questioned.

"Get on my back or I'll pick you up myself."

I laughed loudly. "There's no way that's happening."