20 // who

"Who's gone?"

I stared up into Hyemi's eyes, teary and broken. I could barely see through her nearly shut eyes, with tears falling over her bottom eyelid.

She clenched her jaw and her teeth rubbed against each other before she spoke. "Mama."

My heart dropped.

I immediately pulled her into my shoulder and she rested her face down. She wrapped her arms around my back and I held her close for comfort.

Her tears seeped through the cardigan and my cotton shirt, but the cold tears didn't bother me as much as her pain did.
I held her tightly as she gripped onto my neck for support. Perhaps, she was trying to scratch her mother out of me. She maybe believed she could pull her mother pack if she worked hard enough.

I winced slightly when her nails dig into the back of my neck, but I quickly ignored it, knowing this was her way of grieving.
I held her in my arms until she fell asleep on my shoulder. The tears nearly puddled on my cardigan.
I slowly pulled her sleeping head off my arm. I looked at her swollen eyes, but peaceful expression, and her tears had stopped falling. The lines of which they fell still marked on her face.

I pulled my sleeve down slightly and dried her face gently, until the little lines had disappeared. I leaned her gently to the back of the chair and scooped her legs up in one arm and held her back in the other.
I lifted her slowly, balancing the new weight in my arms and walking into her house, careful not to injure her or myself.
I quietly entered. I wasn't sure if someone else was home, but I didn't want to interrupt.
I heard soft sniffles coming from the main room as I passed many hall doors. I carefully peeked into each one, unsure of which one was Hyemi's.
I poked my head through a sliding door on my left, where there were pale blue and decorated walls standing. I slid the door open with my foot and quietly shut it behind me.
I examined the paper sitting on the desk. I read the name at the top, which read Hyemi, and took the hint that this was her room.
I admired, only for a moment, the colourful bunch of photos, posters and stickers that were plastered along the walls. I quickly found my gaze back at her sleeping head, tilted back, and walked over to her big bed.

I knelt down slightly and placed her on the bed that was only slightly off the floor. The bed was not high enough to simply bend to.
I placed my knees down slowly and held Hyemi tightly as I leaned forward.
I made sure her head was correct on her pillow and I pulled the blankets over her legs when I laid them out.
I pulled the blanket to her shoulders and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear.
I admired her peaceful face and smiled.

"Rest well, Hyemi." I whispered.

I got up slowly, stretching my legs in a quiet way, avoiding making any sudden movements or noises.

I slowly moved to the window, where I had a view of the garden in her backyard, and I watched as the flowers swayed in the chilled wind.
I smiled and pulled the curtains shut quietly.
The room became dark. I snuck back to her desk and grabbed a pen and a sticky note.
I thought for a short moment about what I should leave for Hyemi.

Hyemi,
Get some better sleep. If you need someone, come over.
~ Jungkook

I stared at the sticky note and slowly rested the pen beside the bright yellow square.
I sighed and blinked away tears. I was worried for Hyemi; and her tears seemed to be contagious.

I looked at Hyemi one last time. I smiled slightly as a tear fell down my cheek.

I slowly turned my way out of her room, shutting the sliding door slowly before taking a deep breath and turning the hall.
I walked down the hall quietly, hearing the sobbing continue in the far back of the house.
I slipped quietly out the front door and squeezed my eyes shut as I gripped the door handle tightly.

She'll be okay, right?