The Empty Child

1940s London wasn't the most safest place, especially since a lone child wearing a gas mask starting wandering the streets. A dead child looking for his mummy and he'll never stop.

The Doctor, Rose and Willow need another brain on their side, an American brain with the name Captain Jack Harkness.

***

The TARDIS ricocheted through the time vortex like a toddler rocking their toys from side to side. Willow hung on for dear life as the Doctor was surveying the screen.

"What's the emergency?" Rose questioned, rocking her feet to try and stand up straight.

He replied. "It's mauve."

She was bewildered "Mauve?"

"The universally recognised colour for danger." He stated.

"What happened to red?" asked Willow.

The Doctor rolled his eyes. "That's just humans. By everyone else's standards, red's camp. Oh, the misunderstandings. All those red alerts, all that dancing." He rambled on before returning back to what was at stake. "It's got a very basic flight computer. I've hacked in, slaved the TARDIS. Where it goes, we go."

She tumbled forward; managing not to hit my face on the console "And that's safe, is it?"

"Totally." He said in a sarcastic manner.

All of a sudden, the TARDIS sparked as it headed further into the vortex. Willow hastily stepped away from the console but was soon forced back by the motion of the conveyance.

"Okay, reasonably. Should have said reasonably there." However, his face lit up with panic. "No, no, no, no! It's jumping time tracks, getting away from us."

Rose glanced at the screen, observing the missile shaped object that travelled through the vortex. "What exactly is this thing?"

The Doctor smirked a little, whilst shaking his head. "No idea."

"Then why are we chasing it?" Willow queried.

"It's mauve and dangerous," The Doctor eyed them both. "And about thirty seconds from the centre of London."

They headed towards Earth, stalking the ship intensively. Finally, they materialised on solid ground with a slight hop. Exiting the TARDIS, the trio found themselves in a small alleyway between two terraces with darkness looming above them.

"Do you know how long you can knock around space without happening to bump into Earth?" He remarked, treading on the damp tiles of floor beneath their feet.

Rose checked her watch. "Five days? Or is that just when we're out of milk?" She joked.

He laughed. "Of all the species in all the Universe and it has to come out of a cow."

Willow giggled for a second until suddenly feeling a chill. She looked up at the skies, searching for any sign of life. It felt like something was staring at her, it was strange. In fact, it was as if someone had walked over her grave.

The Doctor interrupted her thoughts. "Must have come down somewhere quite close. Within a mile, anyway. And it can't have been more than a few weeks ago. Maybe a month."

"A month? We were right behind it." Willow said, pointing out the facts.

"It was jumping time tracks all over the place. We're bound to be a little bit out. Do you want to drive?" He reasoned.

Rose crossed her arms. "Yeah. How much is a little?"

"A bit."

"Is that exactly a bit?" nagged Willow.