One Last Dance

The song above is 'In The Mood' by Glenn Miller. Enjoy the epilogue of The Doctor Dances.

***

"Okay, computer, how long can we keep the bomb in stasis?" Jack asked his ship in a nervous tone.

It answered in a monotone, female voice. "Stasis decaying at ninety percent cycle. Detonation in three minutes."

"Can we jettison it?"

It answered once again. "Any attempt to jettison the device will precipitate detonation. One hundred percent probability."

He thought of any more ways to get the bomb out of the ship "We could stick it in an escape pod."

"There is no escape pod on board."

"I see the flaw in that. I'll get in the escape pod." He suggested to no avail.

"There is no escape pod on board."

"Did you check everywhere?" Jack grew more worried by the second.

"Affirmative."

"Under the sink?!" He shouted at it with anger.

"Affirmative." It repeated.

There was no winning. Captain Jack Harkness is now officially a dead man. "Okay. Out of one hundred, exactly how dead am I?"

It worked on the question for a moment. "Termination of Captain Jack Harkness in under two minutes. One hundred percent probability." It told him, trying to be sweet.

"Lovely. Thanks. Good to know the numbers." He joked, trying to add some humour into the situation.

"You're welcome." It responded.

"Okay then. Think we'd better initiate emergency protocol four one seven." Some would believe that this would do something drastic, however, Captain Jack Harkness was not a man to be taken seriously. He celebrates his last moments with a spot of martini to feel like an American version of James Bond.

He drank the martini with a sense of pride, spitting a little out because of how it tasted. "Oo, a little too much vermouth. See if I come here again." He said with laughter as he began his monologue. "Funny thing. Last time I was sentenced to death, I ordered four hyper-vodkas for my breakfast. All a bit of a blur after that. Woke up in bed with both my executioners. Mmm, lovely couple. They stayed in touch. Can't say that about most executioners. Anyway. Thanks for everything, computer. It's been great."

Funny thing about death sentences, you never know when yours is. In a happy sense, today was not the day for Jack to be blown up by a World War II bomb.

He gazed down the hallway of his ship to find an entrance to another part of the ship that did not exist. Hearing the sound of 'Moonlight Serenade', he realised who his saviours were. Leaning by the doorway was Rose Tyler, wearing her Union Jack shirt with pride, watching and waiting for Jack to notice them. Dancing by a console was the Doctor and Willow; he noticed how the Doctor struggled with his dance moves and giggled under his breath. He couldn't believe that three people, he's only known for a few hours, would save his life. It felt redeeming that they forgave him for trying to con them.

"Well, hurry up then!" Rose demanded as Jack began running down, heading inside the police box.

It was hard dancing with the Doctor. He couldn't get his feet and hands in the right position on time and his confidence was low. It was almost impossible to teach him dance.

"Okay. And right and turn." She directed him kindly, however, to no avail. "Okay, okay, try and spin me again, but this time don't get my arm up my back. No extra points for a half-nelson."

They held each other and tried to dance again. "I'm sure I used to know this stuff." He faced Jack for a moment, nodding at the door. "Close the door, will you? Your ship's about to blow up. There's going to be a draught."

He shut the door and the Doctor let go to work on the engines. "Welcome to the TARDIS." He said to him with happiness.

"Much bigger on the inside!" He said, intrigued and entertained by the possibility of a small box being bigger inside.

"You'd better be!"

Willow turned around in embarrassment for Jack, changing the subject. "I think what the Doctor's trying to say is you may cut in." Taking her hand, they tried to get up to the main console.

Nevertheless, the Doctor had one more trick up his sleeve. "Willow! I've just remembered!"

She panicked for a moment. "What?"

Suddenly, the TARDIS began to play 'In The Mood' by Glenn Miller and the Doctor started clicking his fingers to the beat. "I can dance! I can dance!" He couldn't be anymore happier than he already was.

 "I can dance! I can dance!" He couldn't be anymore happier than he already was

Willow grinned at him but looked away to hide her blushing. "Actually, Doctor, I thought Jack might like this dance." She suggested.

"I'm sure he would, Willow. I'm absolutely certain. But I think his interests would be in the Flag Girl actually." Nodding at Rose, she smirked sarcastically, giving up and decidedly joining him by the console for one last dance. Jack and Rose swinging besides them.

She laughed as he twirled her around like a ballerina and dipped her down, as if she were to kiss her on the lips. It was fun. Even the TARDIS danced alongside by flashing its lights again in return.

Today they did good, even made a new friend to join them on their travels. Maybe Willow had something she didn't know she'd find again; a crush.

***

Two chapters in one day! Can't beat that! I'll start writing 'Boom Town' when I can.

For now, I hope you enjoyed this epilogue of 'The Doctor Dances'. I really like Glenn Miller.

- Alice