Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13

Cameron helped Kay up as they went to a blind spot of the window, "You sure you're okay?" He asked.

"There's no bullet in my body so I would say so." Kay tried to joke, "We're being followed."

"But why?"

"Maybe there really is more to Shawn and Fiona's deaths than meet the eye." Kay came up with an idea, "Maybe there's one place where we might get answers but it's a long shot and I don't even know if it could help. There's a cafe that Fiona worked at since she was eighteen and only recently did Fiona leave because Farrah was born."

"Why didn't we go there first?"

"Because it's run by this elderly woman from Wisconsin who gave Farrah a job when she left the system, so this cafe owner wasn't exactly on our list of suspects."

Cameron nodded, "Alright, I see your point there."

"But now... maybe there's something she knows." Kay shrugged, genuinely unsure.

"Let's go. Actually, wait a sec." Before they could leave the room, Cam grabbed Kay by the arm and pulled her close.

"Cameron?" Kay's eyes scanned his face. He had this terrified look in his eyes. The way he was looking at her was intense, like he was trying to memorize every little detail of her face.

"I'm sorry but... I just can't help but think that... if that bullet had hit you?"

Kay gave him a loving look, it was sweet that he was so concerned about her, "But it didn't, thanks to you. I'm here, I'm fine, don't worry about me."

Cameron let out a chuckle, "Easier said than done."

Kay took his hand and kissed his cheek, "I can take care of myself, so don't worry. Now let's go see if we have a new lead."

Cameron smiled worryingly as they left the apartment, "That doesn't mean I don't want to take care of you!" He argued playfully.

Back at the archive, Farrah was taking a nap on the couch with Johnny watching over her to make sure she didn't roll off when the phone rang, "Hey Cam... ... ... What? Someone tried to shoot Kay? You guys okay?... ... ... Okay, do you expect to find anything at this cafe? ... ... ... Okay, I see your point... ... ... Uh, well Dina and Jordan went to get some tech equipment, and Gunter went out to get another play pen for Farrah... ... ... he claims that she needs one in the archive, which I kind of agree with. You know, give the kid her own space... ... ... Yup, it's just me and the kid, so far, so good... ... ...Okay, I'll see you in a bit." A few minutes later, the phone rang again, "Hello?"

"Hello Jonathan." A familiar voice said on the other line. Jonathan's eyes widened as he recognized that voice, "It's been a while hasn't it?"

"What the hell are doing calling me? I thought that by leaving in the middle of the night, I made it clear that I didn't want anything to do with you. I was done with you."

"Oh no, I only called as a favour... being an old friend and all."

Jonathan's eyes widened as he picked up Farrah to hold her close, thankfully not waking her up as she relaxed in his arms and kept giving out little baby noises in her sleep, "Y-you... you were the one who sent the note, weren't you?"

"Oh yes, I meant what I said. That little girl does have your smile. It'd be a shame if something happened to her."

"Are you threatening my niece? I know you're a killer but this is an infant you're talking about!"

"Oh, I have no intention of harming that sweet little girl but my employer thinks otherwise."

"Your employer? Who's your employer?"